[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: svnsync failure when syncing with a repository that used ISO-8859-1 for log messages

From: Christopher Dobbs <christopher.dobbs_at_edb.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 14:25:25 +0000 (UTC)

Danny Trebbien <dtrebbien <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > I must be missing something here, is this patch applied to the current SVN
> >
> > I have downloaded SVN 1.6.15 source from Tigris.org, and cant find the
changes in the source. Also this
> patch is applied to a file : subversion/svnsync/sync.c but in my downloaded
source there is only a file
> main.c in the svnsync directory.
> >
> > We are for the moment stuck with this UTF-8 problem in one of our svn:ignore
properties, and cant proceed
> with seting up this sync, so any pointers are welcome!
> >
> > Geir
> Hi Geir,
Hi Danny,
I am working with Geir Engebakken on this and we understand you won't release
the patch now until 1.7.x - That's fine but I wanted to try out the patch myself
now so I tried to run it in and it is looking for sync.c and sync.h which dont
seem to exist in my source tree. I have downloaded the latest version 1.6.15

Any help is appreciated!!


> No, this patch has not yet been applied to SVN trunk. I have been
> working with some of the Subversion devs (Daniel Shahaf, Gavin, and
> Julian) to fix this problem in a series of commits. We are currently
> working on a patch to libsvn_subr-1 upon which my svnsync patch
> depends, and it is very close to being applied to trunk, but hasn't
> been committed yet. I suspect that when all is said and done, the
> version of Subversion that will contain the patch will be in the 1.7.x
> series.
> In the meantime, the way that I got past the issue with syncing the
> GNU Nano repository was to compile Subversion with the above patch
> (the one that always recodes revprops into ISO-8859-1), use the
> newly-compiled `svnsync` to sync the repository, revert to a standard
> build of `svnsync`, and use `svnsync copy-revprops` to "go back" and
> fix the revprops of revisions that really use UTF-8. The idea here is
> to pick an encoding (ISO-8859-1) that is partially compatible with
> UTF-8 and in which any sequence of bytes is a "valid" string in that
> encoding. After syncing the entire repository in that encoding, any
> revprops that are encoded in UTF-8 will be incorrect. But, after
> identifying specific revisions or ranges of revisions where revprops
> are encoded in UTF-8, you "go back" and use the standard `svnsync
> copy-revprops` for each of these revisions to correct them.
> Hope that helps,
> Danny
Received on 2010-12-14 15:30:50 CET

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.