[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Checksum mismatch commit 1.6.9

From: Andersen, Krista <Krista.Andersen_at_itg.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 19:38:53 -0400

Hi all,

Today I found a situation where the "expected" checksum value from a checksum mismatch error message was not in the .svn/entries file. However, there was a third and completely different value instead (-it did not match the "actual" checksum value either). When I replaced that "third" checksum value in the .svn/entries file with the "actual" value, I still received a checksum error.

(Usually, if nothing is obviously wrong with the file that is generating the checksum error on commit, then I replace the 'expected' checksum value in the .svn/entries file with the 'actual' checksum value from the error message output. I save these changes to .svn/entries and commit to the offending file without error... I am referring to the .svn folder that resides in the same folder as the file that generated the checksum error on commit.)

This did not work today. The fix that finally did work:
1. I checked out a working copy (that included the offending file) onto my desktop. I added a comment to the offending file and committed my change.
2. The developer that was seeing the Checksum error message was able to update to get my changes, delete my changes and successfully commit this.
3. When he tried to add the actual edits he wanted back into that file , the same checksum error returned on commit.
4. So I added the developers (uncommitted) changes in my working copy, and I committed without error.
5. The developer was then able to update to get the file as he wanted it.

We have 1.6.9 on our servers.
And 1.6.7 as our TortoiseSVN clients.
The file was a txt file with extension .exe.config and was 9K in size.
He was using Visual Studio 2008 to edit the file, I used Notepad++.

Does anyone know what can cause this type of checksum error?
Can we prevent it somehow?
Why did the "expected" and "actual" checksum values in the error message output *not* match the "third" Checksum value in the .svn/entries file?

Thank you,


This message is for the named person's use only. This communication is for
informational purposes only and has been obtained from sources believed to
be reliable, but it is not necessarily complete and its accuracy cannot be
guaranteed. It is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase
or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any
transaction. Moreover, this material should not be construed to contain any
recommendation regarding, or opinion concerning, any security. It may
contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No
confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If
you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all
copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the
sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute,
print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended
recipient. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual
sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is
authorized to state them to be the views of any such entity.

Securities products and services provided to Canadian investors are offered
by ITG Canada Corp. (member CIPF and IIROC - Investment Industry Regulatory
Organization of Canada), an affiliate of Investment
Technology Group, Inc.

ITG Inc. and/or its affiliates reserves the right to monitor and archive
all electronic communications through its network.

Received on 2010-08-25 01:39:33 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.