[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: How to authenticate Subversion with SASL2 + LDAP

From: Pablo Manuel Rizzo <info_at_pablorizzo.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 09:02:26 -0300

I'm using apache to authenticate svn against ldap.

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 05:50, Johan Corveleyn <
johan.corveleyn_at_uz.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote:

> [sending to users_at_subversion.apache.org, iso users_at_subversion.tigris.org(which is closed)]
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> I'm sorry, I have no experience getting SASL to work with pam. But I
> remember having read some things about pam in the Cyrus SASL documentation
> pages (included with the distribution I think). So I suppose it should work.
>
> Maybe someone else on the (correct) subversion users list can help you?
>
> You could also have a look at the cyrus-sasl mailing list and/or archive:
> http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/lists.html
>
> Regards,
> Johan
>
> > -----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
> > Van: grimm26_at_gmail.com [mailto:grimm26_at_gmail.com] Namens Mark Keisler
> > Verzonden: zondag 24 januari 2010 20:05
> > Aan: Johan Corveleyn
> > CC: info_at_pablorizzo.com; users_at_subversion.tigris.org
> > Onderwerp: Re: How to authenticate Subversion with SASL2 + LDAP
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 9:36 AM, Johan Corveleyn
> > <johan.corveleyn_at_uz.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote:
> > > -----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
> > > Van: rizzopablo_at_gmail.com [mailto:rizzopablo_at_gmail.com] Namens Pablo
> > > Manuel Rizzo
> > > Verzonden: donderdag 11 juni 2009 16:15
> > > Aan: users_at_subversion.tigris.org
> > > Onderwerp: Re: How to authenticate Subversion with SASL2 + LDAP
> > >
> > > On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 11:03, Stefan Sperling <stsp_at_elego.de> wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > > On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 10:43:13AM -0300, Pablo Manuel Rizzo
> > > wrote:
> > > > Hey Andrey, first you say it's not possible, now you say
> > > it's all there.
> > > > Is something wrong with you?
> > >
> > >
> > > I'd say he just didn't know that SASL auth was added to svnserve.
> > > It's a new feature.
> > >
> > >
> > > > Does anybody know how to use sasl to authenticate subversion
> > > with ldap?
> > >
> > >
> > > The book suggests that you read the SASL documentation to
> > > find out how to configure a given authentication scheme.
> > > Have you read this part of the svnbook?
> > >
> > > I quote http://svnbook.red-
> > >
> bean.com/nightly/en/svn.serverconfig.svnserve.html#svn.serverconfig.svn
> > > serve.sasl
> > >
> > > Because SASL provides so many different kinds of authentication
> > > mechanisms, it
> > > would be foolish (and far beyond the scope of this book) to try
> > > to describe
> > > every possible server-side configuration. Instead, we recommend
> > > that you read
> > > the documentation supplied in the doc/ subdirectory of the SASL
> > > source code. It
> > > goes into great detail about every mechanism and how to
> > > configure the server
> > > appropriately for each.
> > >
> > > Have you tried that?
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Yes, sasl documentation is quite poor, there are no quick tips or how
> > > tos. I see many people in this list and many others and forums is
> > > looking for a quick how-to too. If someone in this list was able to
> > > make it work and is willing to share how, it would be very nice and
> > > usefull to publish this information somewhere.
> > >
> > SASL documentation is indeed very poor, and certainly when you're trying
> to
> > focus on use of LDAP with svnserve. You have to learn all about the
> different
> > password exchange mechanisms (plain, md5-digest, cram-digest, ...)
> figuring
> > out all about saslauthd and other stuff, while all you want to know is:
> where
> > do I configure the LDAP server, bind dn and bind password and stuff like
> that
> > (like with Apache + LDAP).
> >
> > Short answer: it's not possible, unless you apply a specific patch and
> build
> > svn server from source. See e.g. http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2008-
> > 01/0719.shtml. I haven't tried it myself though (can't compile from
> source).
> >
> > The reason why it's not possible, despite what the documentation of SVN
> says?
> > Read the "Known Issues" in
> > http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/notes/sasl.txt:
> > -----
> > ...
> > As a consequence, you won't be able to use the saslauthd daemon to
> > authenticate users, because that method only works with plain text
> passwords.
> > -----
> > And it just so happens that LDAP authentication only works with saslauthd
> > (and plain text passwords).
> >
> > This was one of my major frustrations when trying to get SVN up and
> running
> > for the first time. We wanted to go for svnserve to get the last drop of
> > performance out of it (and seemingly simple to set up). I lost days and
> days
> > looking for a solution, why it wouldn't work despite following carefully
> the
> > SASL instructions, ... until I found that "known issue" in the sasl.txt
> file.
> > In the end we switched to Apache just for this (I have not regretted it,
> but
> > just the time I lost with that ... I would have liked to have known this
> > beforehand).
> >
> > The SVN devs could do current and future SVN users, administrators, ... a
> big
> > service by clearly documenting this! Please put this in big bold letters
> in
> > the book: svnserve + SASL + LDAP is not supported. Don't let people work
> on
> > this assumption until they find the small print in that sasl.txt file.
> Please
> > don't act in the book like all the SASL mechanisms are supported, because
> > they clearly are not.
> >
> > And if it ever would be supported: please provide a simple example in the
> > book for getting this up and running.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Johan
> >
>
> Sorry to revive an old thread, but can you use SASL auth with pam backend
> and
> use pam_ldap? Personally, I alerady use pam_ldap for auth on my server
> (which also helps support svn+ssh for those that don't use keys).
>

-- 
Pablo Manuel Rizzo
-------------------------------
http://pablorizzo.com
-------------------------------
Received on 2010-01-25 13:05:42 CET

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.