[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: svnadmin dump || hotcopy : Program version matching error

From: <Nicolas.Castagne_at_imag.fr>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 19:46:28 +0200 (CEST)

Hi all,

Issue solved.
Many thanks to you all for your attention, time and help.

I provide below a report on how I managed to solve the problem, in case it
could help.

The BerkeleyDB version problem was due to the fact that my system had not
been updated for long, and that a past update had not been achieved

In fact, on my machine, the apache-based means (allow accesing the
repository with http) used libdb-1.4, whereas my svn/svnadmin stuff used
Since all work on the repository so far had been done using apache, the
repository was "built" using BerkeleyDB 1.4...

I guess that the apache-side of svn had been updated one day on the
system, but not the subversion package itself. Anyway...

=> HOW TO <=
To "divine" the version of BerkeleyDB used to build the repository, I used:

To see the version of BerkeleyDB against which svn's apache-based means
were built, I used:
% ldd ldd /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_dav_svn.so

To get the version of BerkeleyDB against which the binaries svn and
svnadmin were built, I used:
% ldd /usr/bin/svn
% ldd /usr/bin/svnadmin

The next step was upgrading the subversion binaries (svn/svnadmin) to a
version linked against the correct version of BerkeleyDB (1.4 in my case).

=> HOW TO <=
The system here is a Debian distrib.
The following relates to Debian.

To upgrade on Debian the subversion package to a version linked against
BerkeleyDB 1.4, first, I needed to see which version was OK.

http://packages.debian.org/ is the place to go for this. You get there a
list of dependecies for each package.

In my case, I have had to search in the old stable packages (ie etch).

Then, I installed this package using apt:
% apt-get install subversion=1.4.2dfsg1-3

Facing the need of an old stable version, you may of course have to work a
bit to fix apt's /etc/apt/sources.list list of packages repositories...


After these steps, "svnadmin dump" and "svnadmin hotcopy" were back on line.

The last step was to achieve a global update of my machine's distribution.

Once this had been done, svn could no more access the repositories anymore.
Logical, indeed: the repositories were still "built" using BerkeleyDB 1.4,
whereas the just-installed, last-stable, subversion package uses
BerkeleyDB 1.6.

Fortunately, runing:
% svnadmin recover <myrepository>
fixed this issue, and upgrated the repository's version of bdb to the
correct, last, one.

That's it!
Now, everything runs "like a charm".

Thanks again, especially Ryan and Jeremy,


To unsubscribe from this discussion, e-mail: [users-unsubscribe_at_subversion.tigris.org].
Received on 2009-10-23 20:23:43 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.