[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

RE: Double file entries after merge of moves/refactoring; possible bug?

From: Hermanns, Horst <h.hermanns_at_telekom.de>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 18:55:40 +0200


we still could not solve our problem (double/old file entries after
merges in splitted rev-ranges) and made another test.

I made two checkouts of my target-branch 'bra2' and merged in two
different ways the changes from 'bra1':

 1st checkout: svn merge -r142:144 https://...bra1 .
                    A dir2
                    A dir2\dir3
                    A dir2\dir3\file1

 2nd checkout: svn merge --force -r142:143 https://...bra1 . (no
                    A dir2
                    A dir2\file1

                svn merge --force -r143:144 https://...bra1 .
                    A dir2\dir3
                    A dir2\dir3\file1
                    D dir2\file1

Now I made a diff between the two checkout dirs and tried to find the
difference which causes the double file entry after the commit of the
2nd checkout (svn status show identical output and no file

I found one difference in the '.svn\entries' files (in this example 143
- 144) and a additional file 'file1.svn-base' under
'dir2\.svn\text-base' of the 2nd checkout.

- Wrong file creation under 'dir1\file1' (old location before move) and
'dir1\dir2\file1' with the commit:
- Correct file creation only under 'dir1\dir2\file1' (location after

Any experiences with merges in splitted rev ranges?
We already used it indirectly with svnmerge.py and I think 'svn merge'
also splits rev ranges depending on the mergeinfo properties.

Comments / suggestions welcome.

Thanks and regards

>>The creation an relocation of the file in one branch leads (after the
merge of this two changes to
>>another branch) also to one resulting file in the merge target branch.
In the other case (merge
>>in 2 rev ranges) I got two files in the target branch, one in the old
an the other in the new location.

>>Expect to the outputs which show no tree conflicts and seems to be
>>correct (first 'A dir1\file1' followed in the next merge by a
>>'D dir1\file1' and add in the new location 'A dir1\dir2\file1') I
>>two files in the respository after the (single) commit of both merge
>># svn merge -r142:143 https://...bra1 .
>>--- Merging r143 into '.':
>>A dir1
>>A dir1\file1
>># svn merge -r143:144 https://...bra1 .
>>--- Merging r144 into '.':
>>A dir1\dir2
>>A dir1\dir2\file1
>>D dir1\file1
>># svn status (!seems to be ok, no 'dir1\file1')
>> M .
>>A + dir1
>>A + dir1\dir2
>>A + dir1\dir2\file1
>>... commit
>># svn list https://...bra2/dir1
>>file1 (!wrong/double entry 'dir1\file1')
>># svn list https://...bra2/dir1/dir2
>>file1 (correct location 'dir1\dir2\file1')


To unsubscribe from this discussion, e-mail: [users-unsubscribe_at_subversion.tigris.org].
Received on 2009-06-18 18:57:10 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.