svn diff shows entire file as modified after add 1 character
From: Thornock, Brian (Brian) <bthornock_at_avaya.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 15:38:42 -0600
The "svn diff" command seems to be inconsistent across various files in my Java repository.
For me to reproduce, I test with 2 files in the same package and directory:
*svn diff TestConnector.java = reports no change
There are about 20 files scattered throughout our base in various packages that have this weird problem where once you change something in the file, every line says it's modified. Even if I delete the line, it still reports every line as modified; I have to svn revert these 20 files. All the other files behave as expected.
After searching the archives, I found some comments on other topics about EOL.
I then tried:
svn diff --diff-cmd /usr/bin/diff -x -b = correctly shows the diff with the extra line
$ svn diff --diff-cmd /usr/bin/diff -x -b TestConnector.java
$ svn diff -x --ignore-eol-style TestConnector.java
$ svn diff TestConnector.java
$ svn pl -v TestConnector.java
An example of the properties for a file that does not manifest this problem and behaves correctly:
I see this problem with both:
Has anyone else seen this, and know how to fix it? I can't figure if there is another property that ought to be set? These are just ASCII text .java files. This is really frustrating that the files were both imported the same way, should be identical as far as file-type. But svn just freaks out with these 20 or so, and every other java file behaves correctly.
That's not really helpful to know that there is an option that "works-around" this 'oddity', when that ought to be the default behavior anyway, and is the case with 80% of the base.
When I also use the Subclipse plug-in in Eclipse and Compare with Base, it shows no change. But if I select to Commit, it incorrectly shows the files as Modified.
To unsubscribe from this discussion, e-mail: [users-unsubscribe_at_subversion.tigris.org].
This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.