Encoding problem causes SVN to misbehave on OS X Leopard
From: Sergio Lopes <knitter.is_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 03:19:15 -0700 (PDT)
I found this old thread about the same problem, http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2005-12/0191.shtml, but no solution nor hint on how to resolve the situation.
I have been using SVN on Windows and Linux without any major problems, every client I used from command line subversion to tortoiseSVN has always behaved accordingly.
Now I changed to OS X and started getting problems on filenames with no-ASCII characters.
SVN does not complain about them, but sees the files as deleted and new, so I now have several files that show as new files and, at the same time, as deleted files.
After a bit of cleaning up on the repository, that made me delete quite a number of files, one of these problematic files slip trough and was commit, now I can't make a checkout out of the repository, nor can I seem to be able to delete, or otherwise reset those files' status.
On my Mac, svn keeps working, somehow committing changes, but I fear that the repository is no longer working properly.
If found some mention of the locale settings, the 'locale' command on my machine gives back:
I've also found how to make svn read the files' names correctly, or at least makes them show properly at my terminal, using:
alias svn="env LC_CTYPE=pt_PT.UTF-8 /opt/subversion/bin/svn"
I defined that alias in my .profile file so that it changed the encoding to svn alone and doesn't change other settings in my system.
I'm completely lost as to what steps I can take to solve the problem. I'll probably create some pre-commit hook that prevents such files to be sent to the repository, but I need to be able to solve this problem, making the repository work again.
Sorry for the long reading :), I couldn't make it any shorter.
To unsubscribe from this discussion, e-mail: [users-unsubscribe_at_subversion.tigris.org].
This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.