[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: Upgrading Subversion

From: Hyrum K. Wright <hyrum_wright_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 08:42:42 -0600

On Feb 26, 2009, at 5:59 AM, Brian Brophy wrote:

> We have a larger repository (62 GB with over 125,000 revisions) that
> is
> currently running 1.3.2. We're planning to upgrade this summer. With
> 1.6 on the horizon, would it be recommended to wait until a 1.6.x
> release and upgrade then, or upgrade to 1.5.5 sometime before then?
> We
> will probably only do one upgrade this year.

If you're only planning one upgrade, I'd wait until 1.6.x. 1.6.x
introduces some potentially significant space savings, depending on
your usage patterns. 1.6.x should be out before the end of March; if
you'd like to test the new features and your migration before then,
you can grab the release candidate.

> Also, considering the size of our repository, what is the recommended
> upgrade approach?
> 1) svnadmin dump the full repository. upgrade the SVN binaries,
> including mod_dav_svn Apache modules. svnadmin load the dump.
> 2) upgrade the SVN binaries, including mod_dav_svn Apache modules.
> svnadmin upgrade the repo. run the svn-populate-node-origins-index
> program.
> 3) other?

I don't have a particular recommendation, but another method is to
svnsync the old repo to the new one, while allowing people to continue
to work against the old repo. You get the benefits of starting the
repo from scratch using the new version, but you can also minimize
downtime when cutting over to the new repo.

-Hyrum

------------------------------------------------------
http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=1065&dsMessageId=1233284

To unsubscribe from this discussion, e-mail: [users-unsubscribe_at_subversion.tigris.org].
Received on 2009-02-26 15:43:39 CET

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.