Yes... its interesting...
Problems usually aren't in the place you look... I was looking for
problems with subversion. Turned out to be a Mac issue. I just assumed
Mac would follow UNIX naming rules with ChangeLog and changelog being
Ah well... you learn something new everyday...
On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 10:23 AM, David Weintraub <qazwart_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> As soon as you said you were on a Mac, I was thinking that this may be
> a case sensitivity issue.
> The Mac's OS is an interesting amalgam of BSD Unix and the old System
> 9 - not in structure or programming, but in the way the OS handles
> certain issues. For example, a file can consist of two separate parts:
> a data fork and a resource fork. Unix utilities don't usually
> understand this, so tools like SugarSync have problems on a Mac. Also,
> some Mac files (such as applications) are really folders in structure.
> This causes a lot of pains with Mac development using tools such as
> Another issue is file namespace. On standard Unix, there is a
> difference between ChangeLog and changelog. But, in Subversion, these
> are two different files.
> There are other issues like the EOL issue. Macs seem to do all three
> <CR> <CRLF> and <LF> depending upon the tool used. Older based Mac
> programs using the GUI still put just a <CR> on the ends of the files.
> The command line Unix utilities do a <LF>, and some developer tools
> (such as VIM) seem to prefer a <CRLF> to match their PC counterpart.
> This is no slam against the Mac. I have Macs at home and hope to help
> the U.S. out of these economic doldrums by buying a new MacBook. I
> also use Subversion and do a lot of development work on the Mac. I
> like the Mac as a development platform -- mainly because all of the
> standard OSS tools are there: Apache, PHP, Perl, gcc, JDK, etc. And,
> I've noticed that the Mac versions of many tools come out before the
> PC version.
> But, you do get some rather interesting results on the Mac that you
> wouldn't get on a PC or Linux box.
> I'm glad you found the problem.
> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 12:13 AM, Ajay Gautam <ajay610_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think your post solved the issue.
>> After re-reading your explanation, I decided to get rid of ChangeLog:
>> svn rm http://ajaygautam.homelinux.net/svn/peppercorn/phplist-2.10.8/ChangeLog
>> After that, the checkout works fine...
>> As it turns out, there was another file called "changelog" in the same
>> folder. Different cases, same name... I think thats what was screwing
>> up the contents in .svn
> David Weintraub
Happiness is a long walk with a putter.
To unsubscribe from this discussion, e-mail: [users-unsubscribe_at_subversion.tigris.org].
Received on 2009-02-03 18:57:21 CET