[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: "Commit failed" / "Invalid UTF-8 sequence" messages when doing a commit in SVN 1.5.1

From: Steve Whitson <steven.whitson_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 20:18:27 -0500

JP Slavinsky wrote:
> Howdy,
> My problem: every time I commit to the repository, I get a "Commit
> failed" message talking about an "invalid UTF-8 sequence". While the
> message says that the commit failed, the commit is actually always
> successful in the repository. However, on the client-side (both
> command line and Subclipse), the working copy isn't up-to-date and
> calls to update seem to produce lots of issues (conflicts, etc).
> My setup: yesterday, I upgraded from from SVN 1.4.4 to SVN 1.5.1.
> <http://1.5.1.> I built 1.5.1 from source, as I did for 1.4.4.
> <http://1.4.4.> I access my repositories over HTTP using Apache
> 2.0.59. <http://2.0.59.> The SVN server is on RedHat 4. Things in
> 1.4.4 used to work fine, both from a linux command line and from
> Eclipse/Subclipse on Windows. Now, both the command line and
> subclipse attempts at committing give the error message described
> above and in the example below.
> My fellow users recently experiencing similar (if not exactly the
> same) problems
> http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2008-08/0444.shtml
> http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2008-08/0725.shtml
> (For the life of me I couldn't figure out how to add to their threads
> - sorry about that).
> Any thoughts on why this error is being presented and how to get rid
> of it?
> Below, I have pasted a log of the steps I take to reproduce the
> problem. I create a repository, check it out, add a file, do a commit
> (which gives the nasty error message), show that my client doesn't
> believe the commit worked, then show that the repository has indeed
> been updated.
> --------------------------------------------------
> [root_at_cutlass v1.5]$ svnadmin create sandbox
> [root_at_cutlass v1.5]$ chown -R apache:apache sandbox
> [root_at_cutlass v1.5]$ exit
> [slavinsk_at_cutlass v1.5]$ cd ~/temp/workspace/
> [slavinsk@cutlass workspace]$ svn co http://localhost/svn/sandbox
> Authentication realm: <http://localhost:80> Sandbox SVN Repository (v1.5)
> Password for 'slavinsk':
> Checked out revision 0.
> [slavinsk_at_cutlass workspace]$ cd sandbox/
> [slavinsk_at_cutlass sandbox]$ touch test.txt
> [slavinsk_at_cutlass sandbox]$ svn add test.txt
> A test.txt
> [slavinsk_at_cutlass sandbox]$ svn commit -m "Committing a dummy file"
> Adding test.txt
> Transmitting file data .svn: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn: Valid UTF-8 data
> (hex: 1c)
> followed by invalid UTF-8 sequence
> (hex: a4 01)
> [slavinsk_at_cutlass sandbox]$ svn status
> A test.txt
> [slavinsk_at_cutlass sandbox]$ svnlook tree /svn/v1.5/sandbox
> /
> test.txt
> --------------------------------------------------
I don't have any solution but this looks like the same problem I've been
experiencing (noted in two different message threads - my two different
threads differ with regard to the error message seen corresponding to
different apache version).
    one message thread is subject: Can't convert string from native
encoding to 'UTF-8' - subversion 1.5.1 with apache 2.03 on linux
    the other message thread is subject: Valid UTF-8 data ... followed
by invalid UTF-8 sequence (*this one notes the identical error JP
Slavinsky has)
Received on 2008-08-22 03:19:29 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.