[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

RE: Safe data followed by non-ascii byte xxx

From: <mathieu.vanbelle_at_recordgroup.be>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:50:50 +0200

indeed that way a svn log works.

But for checkouts of the whole repository (or at least the directory containing this file), it does not work :
> svn co svn://10.10.10.10/test
A test/my.file
A test/first.file
svn: Safe data 'test/sp' was followed by non-ASCII byte 195: unable to convert to/from UTF-8

Svn stops with return code 1 and I'm not able to bypass the error.

Kr
Mathieu

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan Schmidt [mailto:subversion-2008a_at_ryandesign.com]
Sent: mercredi 2 avril 2008 8:30
To: Van Belle, M.(Mathieu)
Cc: users_at_subversion.tigris.org
Subject: Re: Safe data followed by non-ascii byte xxx

On Apr 1, 2008, at 09:06, <mathieu.vanbelle_at_recordgroup.be> <mathieu.vanbelle_at_recordgroup.be> wrote:

> I already found several mails related to this error, but no solution
> yet.
>
> I'm using Subversion 1.4.6 ; the server is a Linux Red Hat server,
> while the clients are HP-UX 11.23 servers.
> From the Linux server everything's work as expected ; in particular,
> I'm able to insert filename with special characters like 'é' (Latin
> Small Letter E Acute) into the repository. I'm also able to commit
> with a message containing such characters.
>
> But from the HP-UX server, if I do a 'svn log' on this filename for
> instance, I receive the following error (repository test, filename
> 'spécial') :
>
> > svn log svn://10.10.10.10/test/spécial
> svn: Safe data 'svn://10.10.10.10/test/sp' was followed by non- ASCII
> byte 233: unable to convert to/from UTF-8
>
> Note that 'é' is 233 in ISO-8859 ; in UTF-8 it should be something
> like 195 169. Depending on the operation I do (data from client to
> server, or from server to client - for instance a checkout), the
> non-ascii byte is sometimes 233, sometimes 195.
>
> So this seems to be linked to a conversion problem from the locale to
> UTF-8.
> I've tried to compile svn 'with-apr-iconv', but this has no effect
> (but chatr on svn does not show the apr-iconv library, and same thing
> for the svn libraries ; it appears I'm not able to compile svn using
> apr-iconv).
>
> I've also tried with all available locales exported in LANG and/or
> LC_ALL, including UTF-8.
>
> (The error comes from the 'utf.c' source, in check_non_ascii ; but I
> guess this is only a consequence of a bad conversion earlier, maybe in
> a call to apr_xlate_conv_buffer in function convert_to_stringbuf (?).)
>
>
> What's wrong ?
>

I would think you need to properly percent-encode the filename before putting it in the URL, e.g.

svn log svn://10.10.10.10/test/sp%C3%A9cial

-----------------------------------------------------------------
ATTENTION:
The information in this electronic mail message is private and
confidential, and only intended for the addressee. Should you
receive this message by mistake, you are hereby notified that
any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or use of this
message is strictly prohibited. Please inform the sender by
reply transmission and delete the message without copying or
opening it.

Messages and attachments are scanned for all viruses known.
If this message contains password-protected attachments, the
files have NOT been scanned for viruses by the ING mail domain.
Always scan attachments before opening them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe_at_subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help_at_subversion.tigris.org
Received on 2008-04-02 09:51:14 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.