[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

disturbing subversion behavior

From: L. Wayne Johnson <wayne_at_zk.com>
Date: 2007-06-13 19:26:00 CEST

This morning I ran into a very weird problem with subversion. I am mostly
posting this in case anyone is interested in looking into this. I have tried
to provide the relevant information below. I would not even bother but this
is a situation were subversion is changing stuff and not saying anything. I
am extremely busy at this point but will try to provide more info if anyone
is interested.

I use subversion at work to track my own work (I am the only user.) I have a
working copy on my work machine and my laptop. This morning when I came in I
tried to check in the work from my laptop and got the following error:

...
Sending src\mw\src\mwin\makefile
Sending src\mw\src\mwin\winlib\makefile
Transmitting file data .svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Can't open file 'C:\dev\src\dx_newdisp\src\mw\src\mwin\winlib\.svn\text
-base\makefile.svn-base': The system cannot find the file specified.

(The ... represent other files that were committed but not part of the
problem.)

I am pretty sure that this has something to do with windows and mixed case.
The original makefile had an uppercase M and when I replaced it with my
version the m when lower case. This is NOT the disturbing part.

I removed the offending file from the list of files (there were actually 2)
from the commit list and the commit appeared to complete normally (all the
files represented by the ... committed successfully.)

Here is the disturbing part. When I updated the working copy on my desktop I
got the following:

>svn update
U src\mw\makefile.mw
U src\mw\src\include\device.h
U src\mw\src\drivers\scr_headunit.c
U src\mw\src\engine\makefile.w32
U src\mw\src\engine\makefile
U src\mw\src\mwin\winlib\makefile.w32
U src\mw\src\mwin\makefile.w32
U src\mw\mw.org.todo
U src\mw\include\device.h
Updated to revision 1144.

Note that the problem files do *NOT* show up in the list of updated files. I
mostly use TSVN and if I select that revision it shows that exactly those
files were updated in the commit. *HOWEVER*, src\mw\src\mwin\makefile and
src\mw\src\mwin\winlib\makefile *WERE* updated in my working copy. And if I
do a diff using TSVN of the new revision and the previous revision it does
show that both of the files changed.

Note that I ran the unsuccessful commit several times before I removed both
to the problem files and only 1 commit shows up in the svn log.

My particulars:

Laptop:
=============
Vista Premium Home

TSVN 1.4.4, build 9706 32 bit 2007/06/09

svn, version 1.4.3 (r23084)
   compiled Jan 18 2007, 07:47:40

Copyright (C) 2000-2006 CollabNet.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
This product includes software developed by CollabNet
(http://www.Collab.Net/).

The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

* ra_dav : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV (DeltaV) protocol.
  - handles 'http' scheme
  - handles 'https' scheme
* ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network protocol.
  - handles 'svn' scheme
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
  - handles 'file' scheme

Desktop:

Windows XP SP2

svn, version 1.4.0 (r21228)
   compiled Sep 11 2006, 17:46:59

Copyright (C) 2000-2006 CollabNet.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
This product includes software developed by CollabNet
(http://www.Collab.Net/).

The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

* ra_dav : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV (DeltaV) protocol.
  - handles 'http' scheme
  - handles 'https' scheme
* ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network protocol.
  - handles 'svn' scheme
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
  - handles 'file' scheme

Server:

Fedora Core 6
svn 1.4.3 (r23084) Mar, 23 2007
Served using Apache. Other than configuring Apache to look at me repository
I have not changed anything.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Wed Jun 13 19:28:33 2007

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.