[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

RE: RE: Empty commit

From: Mark Coleman <Mark.Coleman_at_tomtom.com>
Date: 2007-06-13 16:07:18 CEST

Couldn't you run a grep on an svn stat prior to commiting?

If there are any D's, M's, or A's then you will have a commit.

  

Mark Coleman | Software Developer | TomTom | mark.coleman@tomtom.com |
+31 (0)20 8500955 office

 
-----Original Message-----
From: Giulio Troccoli [mailto:Giulio.Troccoli@uk.linedata.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 4:05 PM
To: Andy Levy
Cc: users@subversion.tigris.org
Subject: RE: Empty commit

No, I haven't. But the thing is that subversion does not say anything or
return something else than 0. My problem is that if I have a commit in a
script I would like to know whether it was an empty commit or not. Also,
if a user does a commit the only way for them to know that something was
actually committed is whether they have a new revision or not. However,
we know users, and in case they don't have a new revision, I know
already that they would complain that they didn't have any message to
tell them they actually didn't commit anything.

You say it's the client. Does not mean that the server is not queried at
all?

>
 
 
Linedata Services (UK) Ltd
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4-12 Norton Folgate, London, E1
6DB
Registered in England and Wales No 3027851 VAT Reg No 778499447
 
-----Original Message-----
 

> From: Andy Levy [mailto:andy.levy@gmail.com]
> Sent: 13 June 2007 14:52
> To: Giulio Troccoli
> Cc: users@subversion.tigris.org
> Subject: Re: Empty commit
>
> On 6/13/07, Giulio Troccoli <Giulio.Troccoli@uk.linedata.com> wrote:
> > Is there a way to capture an empty commit?
> >
> > I would like to do something in case there is a commit with actually
no
> > changes at all. I thought to check what is changed in the pre-commit
> > hook
> > using svnlook changed but it seems the pre-commit hook is not even
> > called. Maybe because the transaction is not created, since there
are no
> > changes, and if that's the case it would make sense. However, is
there a
> > way I can capture this event somehow?
>
> Unless I'm mistaken, the Subversion client doesn't allow an commit in
> the first place if there are no changes. Have you been able to
> successfully execute a commit (including bumping the repository
> version #) without actually making changes?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@subversion.tigris.org

This e-mail message contains information which is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended for use by the addressee only. If you are not the intended addressee, we request that you notify the sender immediately and delete or destroy this e-mail message and any attachment(s), without copying, saving, forwarding, disclosing or using its contents in any other way. TomTom N.V., TomTom International BV or any other company belonging to the TomTom group of companies will not be liable for damage relating to the communication by e-mail of data, documents or any other information.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Wed Jun 13 16:07:53 2007

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.