[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: Problem with non-English characters in file names

From: Ryan Schmidt <subversion-2007b_at_ryandesign.com>
Date: 2007-05-22 23:43:38 CEST

On May 22, 2007, at 08:15, Anders J. Munch wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> I wouldn't expect you to need to write any such script. All you
>> should need to do is ensure that the LANG environment variable is set
>> to an appropriate value when the emailing script is run.
> An appropriate value, what would that be? I've tried various ISO 639
> codes, but they seem to have no effect on svn output on Windows XP.
> Nor should they!! The operation of svn is not documented to depend on
> any LANG environment variable, so it shouldn't depend on that in any
> way. (Except of course of on platforms where it is standard operating
> procedure to do just that.)

I can't speculate about Windows; I don't use that operating system.
On my Mac, I set LANG to "en_US.UTF-8". Other choices are listed in /
usr/share/locale on my system.

The rationale, as I understand it, is that Subversion needs to know
how to convert its internal UTF-8 data into data your terminal
understands, and the only way it knows what character encoding your
terminal uses is through the LANG environment variable. In my case,
my terminal uses UTF-8 too, so Subversion doesn't need to convert
anything. If I had set LANG to "en_US.ISO8859-1" instead, Subversion
would have converted its UTF-8 data to ISO-8859-1 before showing it
to me.

To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Tue May 22 23:46:07 2007

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.