[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: binary files changing in svn

From: Ryan Schmidt <subversion-2007b_at_ryandesign.com>
Date: 2007-04-02 22:53:40 CEST

On Apr 2, 2007, at 14:46, KM wrote:

> I added various lib*.a to my svn repository. When they were added
> it said (bin), which is of course correct -
> When I check them out - they are smaller - and when linked into my
> build - they fail.
> Why would svn be changing them?
> I am using direct command line svn on unix, svn 1.4.3 for Solaris 8.

Perhaps you have asked Subversion to change them. There are two ways
in which you might have done this.

1: Perhaps you set svn:eol-style on these files, either manually or
through an auto-props definition (check your Subversion config file,
~/.subversion/config). If so, Subversion has translated the linefeeds
for you, which of course makes no sense on a binary file and
generally ends up corrupting it. The solution is to delete the
svn:eol-style property from the files, then replace them with known-
good copies.

2: Perhaps you set svn:keywords on these files. If so, Subversion has
substituted keywords within the libraries. If this was intentional,
then this can be made to work if you use the fixed-width keyword
forms, but if you use the usual variable-width forms that are
described in the book, this will likely also end up corrupting binary
files. The solution is to either delete the svn:keywords property
from the files, or else use the fixed-width form of the keywords
within the library, if you meant for keywords to be substituted.

To reply to the mailing list, please use your mailer's Reply To All  
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Mon Apr 2 22:54:20 2007

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.