[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: Problems with post-commit hook updating working copy

From: Ryan Schmidt <subversion-2007a_at_ryandesign.com>
Date: 2007-01-22 22:01:52 CET

When replying, please don't top-post, and please trim your quoting a
little. My answers are below.

On Jan 22, 2007, at 04:41, Alejandro Fernandez wrote:

> On 1/22/2007 Alejandro Fernandez wrote:
>
>> On 2007/1/19, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> Environment variables are different when the hook is called by
>>> Subversion. In particular, the environment should be very close to
>>> empty, and this may be a problem for some reason. See what kind of
>>> error is occurring by writing stderr to a log, then reading the log:
>>>
>>> $ echo update-dev.sh
>>> #!/bin/sh
>>> /usr/bin/svn update /var/www/html --non-interactive --username u --
>>> password p 2>/tmp/update-dev.log
>>
>> I have tried the shell script you sent me and maybe we can be
>> closer to understand my problem. I have tested with the same
>> project, and althought it has been uploaded completely to the svn
>> server, the working copy in the web-server public folder has the
>> same lacks of certains directories and/or files.
>>
>> The update-dev.log has the following message:
>>
>> svn: Can't recode string
>>
>>
>> I have googled the message, and it seems to be problem of the
>> codification of the files, doesn't it?
>>
>> I don't know how to solve this problem so any help will be useful.
>
> If this is useful I complete the information with the output for
> the "locale" command on my system (my region is Spain):
>
> -----------------
> LANG=es_ES.UTF-8
> LC_CTYPE="es_ES.UTF-8"
> LC_NUMERIC="es_ES.UTF-8"
> LC_TIME="es_ES.UTF-8"
> LC_COLLATE="es_ES.UTF-8"
> LC_MONETARY="es_ES.UTF-8"
> LC_MESSAGES="es_ES.UTF-8"
> LC_PAPER="es_ES.UTF-8"
> LC_NAME="es_ES.UTF-8"
> LC_ADDRESS="es_ES.UTF-8"
> LC_TELEPHONE="es_ES.UTF-8"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="es_ES.UTF-8"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="es_ES.UTF-8"
> LC_ALL=
> --------------------
> I have read the problem could be the codification of some files
> (quote from svn book):
>
> svn: Can't recode string.
> The message is cryptic, but generally occurs when the Subversion
> client has received a UTF-8 string from the repository, but the
> characters can't be converted to the current locale.
>
> By the way I don't know how to check the codification of these
> files, neither change this codification.

As I understand it, "can't recode string" does not relate to the
content of any file in your repository. It just relates to your
locale settings.

You have showed me the locale settings when running in your shell.
But as I said, environment variables are different (usually absent)
in your hook scripts. You will need to set the locale inside the hook
script, for example by running "export LANG=es_ES.UTF-8" as the first
line in your hook script.

-- 
To reply to the mailing list, please use your mailer's Reply To All  
function
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Mon Jan 22 22:02:35 2007

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.