[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: Apr troubles

From: Daniel Gehriger <daniel.gehriger_at_linkcad.com>
Date: 2006-09-07 23:10:49 CEST

After 60 hours of trying, having recompiled subversion more than thirty
times, I finally have it working. The solution was to prepend

  CFLAGS="-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64"

to configure:

CFLAGS="-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64" \
./configure \
        --enable-dav \
        --enable-so \
        --with-ssl \
        PYTHON=/usr/bin/python2.3 \
        --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs2-prefork \
        --with-apr=/usr/bin \
        --with-apr-util=/usr/bin

I "grep"ed through the entire source tree of subversion, and there was
not a single word about LARGEFILE_SOURCE and _FILE_OFFSET_BITS. I didn't
know anything about those macros, and I believe I should not have to.
Subversion and Apache apparently decided to define these differently,
and that's why it got segfaults even though both compiled against the
same version.

Now that I know, I found a thread "Re: apr_off_t is of an ambiguous
size." on the 2004 dev list talking about these marcos. Ben Reser
replies to Kean Johnston in a message:

> Most users are not going to be aware of _FILE_OFFSET_BITS. You're
> suggesting that users should be aware of that, aware of how their perl
> was compiled and know that they should pass a
> CFLAGS=-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 to the configure?
>
> I'm sorry but that just seems a tad crazy to me. Certainly doesn't seem
> user friendly.

I agree. And I'm a bit upset to have lost almost a week just because of
this. I suggest the developers either mention the problem in the INSTALL
file, or replace that file with "Subversion does not have a robust build
system and can only be compiled by its developers".

- Daniel

Daniel Gehriger wrote:
> After two days of trying to get subversion to work on my vanilla SuSE
> 9.0 server, I hit the wall and I really need some help.
>
> My setup:
>
> - Apache 2.0.59, compiled from sources
> - Subversion 1.3.2, compiled from sources
> - Both are using apr 0.9.12
>
> The problem:
>
> Even though both, apache2 and svn use the same version of apr, each only
> works with the version it compiled itself:
>
> - If I have libapr as compiled with Apache, and configure subversion as
>
> --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs2 \
> --with-apr=/usr/bin \
> --with-apr-util=/usr/bin
>
> then svn segfaults, svnadmin complains about files named
> "svn_io_get_dirents2" (see corresponding earlier post).
>
> - If I let subversion compile apr and apr-util (again, same version!!),
> then Apache segfaults as soon as I access a web page.
>
> I tried
>
> - different versions of Apache
> - various versions of apr
>
> But it just doesn't work. Help !
>
> Regards,
>
> Daniel
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@subversion.tigris.org
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Thu Sep 7 23:17:12 2006

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.