[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: MKCOL, 405 Method Not Allowed, MERGE request failed, Cannot modify transaction named

From: Markus Fischer <markus_at_fischer.name>
Date: 2006-06-29 17:09:27 CEST

Hash: SHA1

Hi, it's me again.

I had this problem again after a few months and nearly forgot that I
wrote this already to the list.

Anyway, I analyzed the problem again from scratch and found the following:

1. svnnotify (again) was in the post hook without a charset and
therefore failed (again). Seems I don't learn a lot from mistakes.

2. The first error message I got reported from my co-worker was
  Error: Commit failed (details follow):
  Error: MERGE request failed on '/svn/repos/project/trunk/media'
  Error: No such transaction

3. However the commit was actually successful, all added files where in
the repository

4. Trying to run commit on this this project (I only tried inside the
media directory) always gave this:

Error: Commit failed (details follow):
Error: MKCOL of
405 Method Not Allowed (https://domain)

5. Trying to run update gave this error:

Error: Failed to add directory 'W:\project\media\subdir': object of the
same name already exists

So to me it seemed that my WC was svn-wise corrupted and the control
information wasn't reliable anymore.

I also tried running cleanup, which didn't report anything, but nothing

On the server I'm using svn 1.3.2 with apache2 proxied through another
apache with ssl and the client is ToirtoiseSVN 1.3.5 built against svn
1.3.2, too.

So my only fix was, as mentioned in the message from
http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2006-01/0995.shtml to stat from a fresh WC.

It's irritating that although the commit succeeded in one way (files
were in) I was told the commit failed and that my WC was left in an
broken state, unfortunately.

- - Markus

Markus Fischer wrote:
> Hi all,
> I think I found the cause for this very esoteric problem, but yet have
> to do more monitoring if this was the really the problem.
> I had installed SVN::Notify from CPAN and didn't use the --charset
> switch on svnnotify and therefore sometimes the process badly hung, also
> tearing down SVN. When I didn't use the switch, than the process hund
> with this (got this with strace):
> write(2, "utf8 \"\\xF6\" does not map to Unic"..., 123
> At least now I took the time to convert the bdb backend to fsfs, I hope
> this is fine with the 1.1.4 release.
> - Markus
> Markus Fischer wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> my repository suddenly started acting weird and given me error messages
>>> I've never seen before, ending in the problem that I can't commit
>>> anything anymore.
>>> So, where to start? I'm using debian table (sarge) with subversion
>>> version 1.1.4 (r13838) compiled May 13 2005 and bdb backend 4.2. I'm
>>> accessing the repository with apache2/mod_dav_sn
>>> When the problems started, I first looked into the db/ directory and saw
>>> the the file 'strings' was already quite big: 2117779456 bytes which is
>>> 2.0GB. But that didn't surprised me really as I was monitoring the file
>>> size regularly. I quickly made a test and created a /dev/zero file with
>>> 3GB to make sure it's not the filesystem.
>>> Basically, the first time the error occured was through an automatic
>>> cron-job running every night:
>>> -----------------8<------------------------
>>> svn: Commit failed (details follow):
>>> svn: MERGE request failed on '/repos/web/project/trunk'
>>> svn:
>>> Cannot modify transaction named '1hv' in filesystem
>>> '/data/subversion/repos/db'
>>> -----------------8<------------------------
>>> But I didn't discovered that until I got some other strange errors
>>> during normal working:
>>> -----------------8<------------------------
>>> Error: Commit failed (details follow):
>>> Error: MKCOL of
>>> '/netcare/!svn/wrk/7789330c-7a8f-5243-963b-596639a25dc4/web/project/trunk/http/application/xml':
>>> 405 Method Not Allowed (http://domain)
>>> -----------------8<------------------------
>>> and soon I also got this error which was the similar like the automatic
>>> commit had:
>>> -----------------8<------------------------
>>> Error: Commit failed (details follow):
>>> Error: MERGE request failed on '/repos/web/project/trunk/http/application'
>>> Error: Cannot modify transaction named '1id' in filesystem
>>> '/data/subversion/repos/db'
>>> -----------------8<------------------------
>>> I've searched with google for the errors and ultimately landed on some
>>> archived subversion message [1] and the solution was to create a new
>>> repository [2], but this is quite complicated as I don't have that much
>>> disc space currently.
>>> I've never seen the 405 error also and only found a thread from '04 [3]
>>> about it, but unfortunately the things to try out are all ok. The
>>> permissions are right and the module is properly loaded. I can checkout
>>> without troubles, I just can't commit.
>>> Currently I'm pretty lost. I did ran db_recover and svn recover, but
>>> that didn't change anything. As soon as I'm going to commit something I
>>> always get this 'Cannot modify transaction' error. I've made sure that
>>> the file permissions are sane, and they are. They're all set to www-data
>>> because apache2 has to have full access to it.
>>> thanks for any pointers,
>>> - Markus
>>> [1] http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2006-01/0786.shtml
>>> [2] http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2006-01/0995.shtml
>>> [3] http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2004-06/0331.shtml

Version: GnuPG v1.4.3 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org


To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Thu Jun 29 17:14:48 2006

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.