[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: Problem with UTF-8 / locale settings

From: <johann.petrak_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2006-03-31 15:02:27 CEST

You are right: de_AT.UTF-8 does indeed work.
What is confusing is that none of my other programs ever complained, so I
thought it was
OK, but in connection with en_US.UTF-8 does does make sense, of course.

Thanks you!
  Johann

On 3/31/06, Ryan Schmidt <subversion-2006Q1@ryandesign.com> wrote:
>
> On Mar 31, 2006, at 13:58, johann.petrak@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > I kept having the following problem with subversion: when doing a
> > svn -v -list
> > command I got the following error messages:
> > svn: Valid UTF-8 data
> > (hex: 4d)
> > followed by invalid UTF-8 sequence
> > (hex: e4 72 20 32)
> >
> > I am running subversion version 1.2.3 (r15833) under OpenSuse Linux
> > 10.0
> >
> > After some playing around I found that this is due to my locale
> > setting:
> > LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
> > LC_TIME="de_AT"
> >
> > changing LANG had no impact, but changing the LC_TIME setting to
> > en_US made to problem go away.
> >
> > As it turns out the reason seems to be that "March" is printed "März"
> > (i.e. with an Umlaut) in German and that caused the hickup in
> > subversion.
> >
> > This is obviously a subversion bug and I thought I'd share it for the
> > benefit of those who get similar errors because of insufficient
> > suport for non-US locales in subversion.
>
> I presume you need to use LC_TIME="de_AT.UTF-8" instead of just de_AT.
>
>
>
Received on Fri Mar 31 15:04:38 2006

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.