[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Problem with UTF-8 / locale settings

From: <johann.petrak_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2006-03-31 13:58:12 CEST

I kept having the following problem with subversion: when doing a
  svn -v -list
command I got the following error messages:
  svn: Valid UTF-8 data
  (hex: 4d)
  followed by invalid UTF-8 sequence
  (hex: e4 72 20 32)

I am running subversion version 1.2.3 (r15833) under OpenSuse Linux 10.0

After some playing around I found that this is due to my locale setting:
  LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
  LC_TIME="de_AT"

changing LANG had no impact, but changing the LC_TIME setting to
en_US made to problem go away.

As it turns out the reason seems to be that "March" is printed "März"
(i.e. with an Umlaut) in German and that caused the hickup in
subversion.

This is obviously a subversion bug and I thought I'd share it for the
benefit of those who get similar errors because of insufficient
suport for non-US locales in subversion.
Received on Fri Mar 31 13:59:31 2006

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.