[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: Mac OS X "packages" Best Practices?

From: Jeremy Pereira <jeremyp_at_jeremyp.net>
Date: 2006-03-06 00:46:38 CET

On Mar 6, 2006, at 02:29, Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:

> Jeremy Pereira wrote:
>
>> As they are, for the most part, volunteers I think they pay
>> attention to the things they find interesting.
>
>
> So basically you're saying the developers don't find making their
> software usable interesting? That is interesting in of itself.

No I am saying they have priorities that are not necessarily
determined by what a small section of the community wants.

I happen to think that the feature request in question is one that
would be nice to have, being a Mac OS X developer myself (I also
think that the implementation of bundles by Mac OS X is fundamentally
broken). However, I am not prepared to criticise the developers for
ignoring it because I haven't paid them anything to use subversion.
I have the fruits of their labour for free. I could implement the
feature myself, but I have more interesting things to do. It seems
hypocritical to allow myself that excuse, but not the developers.

>
>
>> If you don't like it, perhaps you could ask for your money back :-)
>
>
> Yawn. When are people going to learn that saying that makes you
> look silly. I'd, and probably a number of more serious users,
> would gladly pay someone to improve a number of problems in
> Subversion that the developers "don't seem to find interesting",
> but I don't see any developers lining up.

Well the fact is, nobody has put any money up to fix this problem.

>
>
>>> Would they even accept a patch if someone went off and
>>> implemented this?
>> Provided it meets the subversion quality standards.
> > Read the HACKING file in the source distribution.
>
>
> Clearly you haven't looked at this in a while, because it says to
> look at http://subversion.tigris.org/hacking.html. This document
> is very vague as to the process by which a patch is actually
> accepted. As far as it describes, submitting a patch is no more
> likely to make the developers accept it than voting will make them
> pay attention to an outstanding issue.
>

Mea culpa. I looked at the distro I have on this laptop which is
only 1.2.3. However, if the hacking file is now just a link, you can
still get the information you need by looking at the file and then
following its instruction to use the link.

I disagree with your assertion that the document is vague about the
process for submitting patches. It seems perfectly explicit to me.

>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@subversion.tigris.org
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Mon Mar 6 00:47:47 2006

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.