[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Locale problem: Can't convert string from native encoding to 'UTF-8'

From: David Kramer <david_at_thekramers.net>
Date: 2005-09-06 21:30:22 CEST

Background:
- I'm running svnserve 1.1.0 on my old server using berkeley back end for the
repository. (SuSE 9.0)

- I just built a new server, now running svnserve 1.2.1, using fsfs for the
repository (SUSE 9.3, with subversion server and libraries updated from
ftp.suse.com/pub/projects)

- I dumped the repositories from the old server and loaded them on the new
server.

- I twiddled my router so now all svn:// requests went to the new server.

After doing that, I was able to check out and in with the new repository (this
is as of a day or two ago). Now, I get the following error:

david@deepthink:/devel/agilerules/web/private/htdocs/worknotes> svn commit -m
"web private: removed worknotes/htmlunit"
Deleting worknotes/htmlunit
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Can't convert string from native encoding to 'UTF-8':
@?\217?d?\14?\184?\174

- All files and filenames in version control are plain text or OpenOffice
documents. All plain text files are normal ASCII US characters.

Now, I did some RTFM and some STFW, and noticed that (1) part of the 1.2
series changes was added localization, and (2) the way you set the
localization of the server is by exporting LANG to the correct setting in the
script that starts up svnserve, and I've now done that, setting/exporting both
LANG and LC_ALL to en_US.UTF-8 in /etc/init.d/svnserve. This did not seem to
help.

We tried upgrading the client to the latest, and that didn't seem to help either.

After changing the locale on svnserve, do I need to do the load operations again?

Do I need to make new working copies?

One bit of funkyness is that I had libapr0-2.0.53-9, to match
apache2-2.0.53-9.2. The subversion-server-1.2.1-1.1. said to install
libapr0-2.0.54-7.1.i586.rpm, but when I did so, apache would segfault on all
client requests, so I reverted to libapr0-2.0.53-9. Both apps seemed to work
after that, but I'm not sure if that's involved or not. Maybe whether using
that version of svnserve with that version of of libapr is a separate
question.

Thanks. We can't check in anything until this is resolved, so please get back
to me with any tips as soon as possible. Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Tue Sep 6 21:32:28 2005

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.