[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

RE: eol-style

From: Dale Worley <dworley_at_pingtel.com>
Date: 2005-05-26 15:44:41 CEST

> From: Russ Brown [mailto:pickscrape@gmail.com]
> At this point I got the idea that the problem may be something to do
> with the eol-style property. I checked it and it was indeed set; its
> value being 'native'. So, I removed the property from the file and
> tried the change again. This time, the diff worked correctly.

It's not exactly clear to me how you got into this situation, but it appears
that you managed to get the eol-style property set without checking in the
file from a WC, so Subversion hadn't yet edited the file's contents to match
the eol-style.

See, when svn:eol-style is not set, end-of-line characters in the file are
just characters. But when you set svn:eol-style, the client and/or server
(I don't know which) always stores lines in the repository with one format
of EOL (LF only, I think, but it doesn't matter), and upon
check-in/check-out rewrites the EOL characters to/from the appropriate
characters based on the client's OS and the value of svn:eol-style.

The result is that when you initially set svn:eol-style, it may *imply* a
massive change to the *contents* of the file in te repository, changing all
the EOLs. It appears that the edit you performed was the point at which it
happened for this file.

Carefully extracting the various revisions of a file with svn cat -rxxx and
comparisons with svn diff will show this better...


To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Thu May 26 15:47:59 2005

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.