[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: svn: Working copy path 'some/file.c' does not exist in repository

From: Scott Palmer <scott.palmer_at_2connected.org>
Date: 2005-03-18 16:57:41 CET

On Mar 18, 2005, at 9:50 AM, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> Scott Palmer wrote:
>
>
>> I have never seen 'cleanup' do anything useful. As far as I can tell
>> it is a no-op :)
>
> It does the same thing as 'svnadmin recover', but on the client side.
> It executes any leftover journals lying around in .svn/ areas, then
> removes .svn/ lockfiles.
>
> 'svn cleanup' is not the proper response to any random client error.
> In fact, it's *only* useful for errors that say "working copy is
> locked, run cleanup." :-) This happens when a client operation is
> interrupted in the middle of journal creation or execution.

Got it. I think I had a case once where it failed to unlock the
working copy because it ran into some other issue trying to cleanup -
likely related to the mixed case problem.

> It returns the working copy to a consistent state.

That's only true for a very specific definition of "consistent state"
:). The "inconsistent state" that results from having mixed case in
the repository but a WC on a case-insensitive file system is a whole
different matter it seems.

This happened just two days ago. The WC became very confused, but it
wasn't reporting any issues until we attempted a commit. Then we got
bizarre error messages about files being added that were already in the
repo. We also noticed files missing from the WC that were in the
repo, but 'svn up' would not get them. All of the error messages were
confusing because they simply didn't seem to match reality. We would
check the repo for the files that were supposedly already there and it
appeared that they were not there. I only knew from experience to
suspect mixed-case issues and I saw that a file name in one of the
messages had a capitalized name which I suspected of causing the
problem. Further investigation confirmed that it was a mixed case
issue, but the frustrating part was the WC that would not update.
There were files clearly missing from the WC, but 'status' didn't show
them as missing, and 'update' wouldn't pull them in. In those cases it
would be nice if 'cleanup' did a more thorough sanity check on the WC
to confirm that the info in the .svn folder was consistent with the
files in the WC and the repo.

Scott

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Fri Mar 18 17:00:17 2005

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.