I encountered something unexpected when working with properties. The
sequence of steps I performed (which are also reproduced in the attached
script) are as follows:
1. Add an executable file in a checkout from dir1 and commit it.
2. Merge the changes made in step 1 into a working copy checked out
* As expected, the execute bits are not properly set on the
file, so I fix that up manually.
3. Remove the svn:executable property on the file.
* This unsets the execute bits and an svn proplist on the file
no longer shows the property.
* svn status just shows an A in the first column and a '+' in
the fourth, with nothing shown in the second column where I
would have expected an 'M' since the properties were modified.
4. Commit the file and then check out a new working copy from dir2.
* The file still has the svn:executable property.
5. Remove the property again and commit.
* This time I see the expected output from svn status and the
property is actually removed in the repository.
I was expecting to be able to modify the properties of a file that was
added during a merge without first having to do a commit. This seems to
not be the case. My guess is that since it is a commit with history, the
properties are being taken from the revision in the repository without
being merged with those in the working copy, although this is just an
educated guess without looking at the code. Is this a limitation of the
design or a bug?
Here is my environment:
OS: Fedora Core 3
$ svn --version
svn, version 1.1.2 (r12471)
compiled Jan 7 2005, 15:34:50
Copyright (C) 2000-2004 CollabNet.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
This product includes software developed by CollabNet
The following repository access (RA) modules are available:
* ra_dav : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV (DeltaV) protocol.
- handles 'http' schema
- handles 'https' schema
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
- handles 'file' schema
* ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network protocol.
- handles 'svn' schema
$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.4.2 20041017 (Red Hat 3.4.2-6.fc3)
Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
$ perl -v
This is perl, v5.8.5 built for i386-linux-thread-multi
Copyright 1987-2004, Larry Wall
Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.
Complete documentation for Perl, including FAQ lists, should be found on
this system using `man perl' or `perldoc perl'. If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.com/, the Perl Home Page.
Berkeley DB Version: 4.2.52
$ rpm -q openssl
Please let me know if you need any more information.
Received on Fri Feb 4 18:26:34 2005
To unsubscribe, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
For additional commands, e-mail: email@example.com