[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: problem with diff and UTF-8 encoded files

From: Dave Camp <dave_at_thinbits.com>
Date: 2005-01-29 07:26:53 CET

On Jan 28, 2005, at 8:52 AM, Olivier Lange wrote:

> thomas wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> i checked out some UTF-8 encoded files, changed them, saved them,
>> opened them again and everything is okay. but when i make a "svn diff
>> > file.txt" on the commandline the special characters (like ä, ö, ü
>> etc) are broken. is this a known problem? is there a switch or
>> something?
>>
>> i'm using Mac OS X and svn 1.1.3
>
> I have the same problem with svn 1.1.3 and win2ksp4. I would like to
> diff two UTF-8 encoded files and to get an UTF-8 diff output.
>
> It seems that the internal diff treats the input files as raw text and
> the diff output contains scrambled characters in place of extended UTF
> characters.
>
> I am under the feeling I am missing something basic. Does the diff
> command actually support UTF-8 encoded files?
>
> If so, how does Subversion determine which encoding is used?
>
> I searched the book and the list archive with no success. I found
> "--encoding" options for the log messages encoding and a
> "svn:eol-style" property for end-of-line preferences.

I have not had this specific problem myself, but I have run into some
unicode problems checking out Windows files with extended characters in
the filenames. Try setting the LANG environment variable to
en_US.UTF-8.

export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
or...
setenv LANG en_US.UTF-8

...depending on your shell.

If it solves the problem, post the results back to the list so it can
be recorded for posterity.

Dave

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Sat Jan 29 07:28:35 2005

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.