[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: Odd merge conflicts

From: Scott Palmer <scott.palmer_at_2connected.org>
Date: 2005-01-11 13:55:48 CET

On Jan 10, 2005, at 4:47 PM, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> AFAIK, adding eol-style properties as part of a merge shouldn't create
> any problems. It's no different than running 'svn propset' by hand on
> your working copy.

I thought about this some more. As I recall, when svn:eol-style is set
to 'native' the files are stored in the repository with LF line
termination only, when checking out on Windows the line endings are
changed to CR LF only for the working copy, right?

If that is the case, then when I added the svn:eol-style property on my
windows machine all of the files that previously had CR LF line
terminations in the repository were replaced with a file that differed
on every single line from the previous version. That would be the case
even though when I ran 'svn st' in my working copy before committing
the change it only showed the modification of the file's properties
only, and not the files contents.

Is it possible that the massive EOL changes confused the merge - given
that the entire file appeared different? You see, my branched copy was
on Mac OS X, so it would naturally use LF termination, but all of the
files that I had not edited on the Mac would still have the CR LF line
termination because I had not yet set the svn:eol-style property to
native in the branch.

I figure that on a unix flavor OS it would be just the property that
gets set, and the LF line terminations would not need to be touched in
the repository. Perhaps making the same procedure work fine.

Here were my steps, sorry it isn't an exact recipe yet.. I'm going to
try this all tomorrow when I have the Windows machine and the Mac sided
by side.

1 - the svn:eol-style property was NOT set initially.
2 - I started trunk development on Windows, most files had CR LF line
3 - I made a development branch on Mac OS X
4 - I changed several files on the trunk through several revisions and
merged in into my dev branch on the Mac, which only added new files and
did make significant changes to any existing files.
5 - I merged the trunk to my dev branch, it worked fine.
6 - I made more changes on the trunk, including the addition of the
svn:eol-style property which I set to 'native' for each file.
7 - I merged the trunk into the branch on the Mac. That's when things
did not go well. All line endings would need to be changed as part of
the merge.


To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Tue Jan 11 13:58:40 2005

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.