[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

AW: Problems converting to/from utf-8

From: Hunkel, Manfred <M.Hunkel_at_t-systems.com>
Date: 2004-08-13 09:20:08 CEST

Tobias,

welcome to the club of users whose written native tongues use funny characters :-)

I should eventually prepare a FAQ on how to deal with your problem, since this seems to turn up increasingly frequently.

Here's how I solved the identical issue (on a NetBSD box), i.e. all server-side calls to svn* bailed out on the first non-ASCII byte in a filename, but TortoiseSVN works like a charm:

1. Make sure your SVN installation (specifically apr-util, I think) is linked against libiconv. (If it isn't, you'll be out of luck with the following steps.)

2. The minimum locale setting required is LC_CTYPE. I've set it to "de_DE.ISO8859-1", but you'll have to figure out whatever is appropriate for Solaris.

3. If you run utilities, e.g. WebSVN, which call svn* server-side, make sure that the environment from which svn* are being invoked, has LC_CTYPE defined as well.

Hope this helps!

;-) -Manfred

| -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
| Von: Tobias Schaller [mailto:Tobias.Schaller@gmx.net]
| Gesendet: Donnerstag, 12. August 2004 16:43
| An: users@subversion.tigris.org
| Betreff: Problems converting to/from utf-8
|
| Hi,
|
| We are using Subverion 1.05. The server is running on a Solaris machine,
| software installed from the packages available from sunfreeware.com.
|
| The clients are running on WinXP or Win2000 using svn command line
| or TortoiseSVN.
|
| In our repository we have files with german umlaute (ä, ö etc).
|
| I checked out a working copy from a test repository on the Solaris machine
| (without umlaute).
| c:\_tst>svn checkout svn://server/tst .
| A trunk
| A trunk\foo.txt
| A trunk\long.txt
| A trunk\test.txt
| A branch
| A tags
| Checked out revision 1.
|
| Added the file täst.txt to the working copy.
| c:\_tst>dir /b trunk
| foo.txt
| long.txt
| test.txt
| täst.txt
|
| When trying to svn add the file, the following error shows up.
| c:\_tst>svn add trunk/täst.txt
| svn: Safe data:
| "trunk/t"
| ... was followed by non-ascii byte 228.
|
| Non-ascii character detected (see above), and unable to convert to/from
| UTF-8
|
| svn list, svn log --verbose and svn status --verbose give the same error.
|
| Windows is set to german. On the server, the user running the repository has
|
| this language settings:
|
| $ locale
| LANG=
| LC_CTYPE="C"
| LC_NUMERIC="C"
| LC_TIME="C"
| LC_COLLATE="C"
| LC_MONETARY="C"
| LC_MESSAGES="C"
| LC_ALL=
|
| Committing the file with Tortoise works but I need the command line, too.
| Any idea, what to do about this?
|
| Many thanks,
| Tobias
|
| --
| NEU: WLAN-Router für 0,- EUR* - auch für DSL-Wechsler!
| GMX DSL = supergünstig & kabellos http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl
|
|
|
| --
| NEU: WLAN-Router für 0,- EUR* - auch für DSL-Wechsler!
| GMX DSL = supergünstig & kabellos http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl
|
|
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------
| To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
| For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@subversion.tigris.org

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@subversion.tigris.org
Received on Fri Aug 13 09:20:34 2004

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Users mailing list.