I'm almost sure it's just my own lousy understanding of the command, but
I am having some difficulty when using "svn copy" on a mixed-revision
working copy. Can somebody show me what I'm doing wrong, or another way
to tag a set of mixed-revision files?
I've worked out a standalone example that shows what I'm running into.
The transcript below shows the problem taking place at line 34, after I
"backdate" a file on line 31. Interestingly (to me), I found that if I
omit the "svn up" at line 29, then the "svn copy" on like 34 works
fine. Is there an explanation for this that a dummy like me can
understand? (Unfortunately, in real life I occasionally have to run
"svn up", and I can't figure out how to get the WC back into a state
where the copy operation works as I expect).
1) [tmp]$ svnadmin create /tmp/svnroot
2) [tmp]$ svn mkdir file:///tmp/svnroot/dir1 -m'Created top-level dir1'
3) Committed revision 1.
4) [tmp]$ svn co file:///tmp/svnroot/dir1
5) Checked out revision 1.
6) [tmp]$ cd dir1
7) [dir1]$ mkdir dir2
8) [dir1]$ echo 'first revision of file1' > dir2/file1
9) [dir1]$ echo 'first revision of file2' > dir2/file2
10) [dir1]$ svn add dir2
11) A dir2
12) A dir2/file1
13) A dir2/file2
14) [dir1]$ svn commit -m'Added dir2, file1, file2'
15) Adding dir2
16) Adding dir2/file1
17) Adding dir2/file2
18) Transmitting file data ..
19) Committed revision 2.
21) [dir1]$ echo 'second revision of file1' > dir2/file1
22) [dir1]$ svn commit -m'Modified file1'
23) Sending dir2/file1
24) Transmitting file data .
25) Committed revision 3.
26) [dir1]$ svn copy . file:///tmp/svnroot/goodcopy -m'No problem with
copying this WC'
28) Committed revision 4.
29) [dir1]$ svn up
30) At revision 4.
31) [dir1]$ svn up -r2 dir2/file1
32) U dir2/file1
33) Updated to revision 2.
34) [dir1]$ svn copy . file:///tmp/svnroot/badcopy -m'SVN does not like
this mixed-revision WC'
35) svn: Commit failed (details follow):
36) svn: Out of date: 'badcopy/dir2/file1' in transaction '9'
I apologize if this post seems redundant; I saw some old messages on
this list asking similar questions, but I couldn't track down any
responses with a working solution. I've also read the SVN book section
explaining the two restrictions on committing mixed-revision working
copies, but I couldn't see how those rules applied here (I am neither
deleting a directory or committing metadata changes, am I?).
FWIW, I experienced the same results on subversion 1.06 and 1.1rc1 (even
with fsfs), running on a Fedora Core 2 system.
Thanks in advance for any help.
To unsubscribe, e-mail: email@example.com
For additional commands, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Received on Fri Aug 6 19:36:17 2004