A few bugs/requests with properties
From: Gavin Lambert <colnet_at_mirality.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 00:17:46 -0700 (PDT)
Currently using TSVN 1.8.7; there are a few things with the property UI that have been bugging me for a while, so I thought I'd ask about them to see if they're fixable or not. (I assume some of them are due to limitations in the SVN library.)
1. If I Add a folder, TSVN automagically copies the so-called "project properties" (bugtraq etc) to it. I've already previously gone into detail on why I loathe this behaviour with a fiery passion, so let's not get into that again. (Just please make it optional at least!)
2. As mentioned in the other thread (which reminded me of this list), double-click to view property diffs doesn't work any more. I can understand why this was removed from files (and I'm happy with that) but it should still work with folders.
3. If I Remove a property, TSVN displays a task dialog asking if I want to remove recursively or not. This is mildly annoying in itself (mostly because it beeps whenever it does it, but also because it's rare to want to do it recursively unless I'm cleaning up after #1). But the other issue with this is that it switches focus away from the property list window when the task dialog appears, and does not switch back when it closes. If I'm doing a lot of property edits in a row sometimes I'll end up with several properties windows left open in the background because they've hidden themselves behind some other window (usually the Explorer window). I assume this is probably an activation order thing caused by the task dialog having the wrong owner or the properties window being disabled at the wrong time. (Or to avoid both issues, maybe it should be a checkbox or "remove single" should be the default with "remove recursively" a drop-down-button action?)
4. There doesn't seem to be any easy way to search for properties or property history from the GUI -- in particular I was trying to find what commit last changed a property or even getting something like a Blame for the property to see when a specific subvalue was added.
5. It's hard to see property changes in the Log window, especially for properties on folders (which is most commonly where they're set). A quick fix for this would be to have a new option similar to "show only affected paths" which shows only changes to the exact item, excluding changes to subfolders and files. Although preferred if it filters the revision list at the top, not just the affected path list at the bottom. (This would also help with looking at branch history, incidentally.)
6. On a somewhat related note, with "include merged revisions" ticked the "show only affected paths" option becomes fairly useless as it seems to compare the full path down to the repository root (including trunk/branch name), which means that it will never show anything from the merged branches.
To unsubscribe from this discussion, e-mail: [users-unsubscribe_at_tortoisesvn.tigris.org].
This is an archived mail posted to the TortoiseSVN Users mailing list.