[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: Painfull TortoiseSVN reinstall

From: Ben Johnson <ben_at_indietorrent.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 13:32:06 -0500

On 11/19/2012 1:24 PM, Tomasz Trejderowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> appologies for late reply.
>
>> Because *any* program can invoke the DLLs. Especially those that use
>> the common File dialogs.
>
> Any program, that uses file dialogs, even if it have nothing together with TSVN or shell has to be closed, because TSVN is updating itself? That's a pretty madness, don't you think?
>
> What DLLs' TSVN / Subversion is actually updating, that it has to shut down everything that has access to system shell / file dialogs etc.? For me it looks like TSVN would be updating half of the system.
>
> As you point out later, TSVN uses MSI installer. Do you have any explanation, that it is the only known to me program, that both uses MSI installer and has to kill everything before update? I have a lot of software that uses MSI installer, a lot that has direct access to shell or updates some DLL and updating any of them introduces such hell and mess to the system.
>
> To be honest, TSVN is the only piece of software I have, that is restarting shell layer only. Other setup programs either requires full system restart or does the update without any interfernce. Once again -- if TSVN uses common MSI setup installer without any extra modifications, why other programs, that also uses it, does not behave so strangely?
>
> I fear, that next step would be TSVN requiring to run in Safe Mode to be able to update itself.
>
>> Does it not stop and let you close them on your own?
>
> I'm talking about process AFTER that step. Every setup program, that I've been using, gives user the same choice -- either he shut other programs himself, or setup routine attempts to do this itself. If I choose second option in any other setup program, I'm getting immediate information from other running programs about attempt to restart. And I can save docs etc. If I click Next in TSVN installer, all my applications are killed and unsaved works goes hell. I won't argue which kind of close message TSVN / MSI sends out to this programs. I lay my arguments upon my own observation. When I click next in the window showing list of applications that should be closed, these app are being KILLED, not shutted down. At least that's what happens on my Win 7 x64.
>
>> Do you really think that insulting people and demanding an explanation
>> is going to get you results?
>
> I'm not insulting anyone. I'm using hard words. And I'm doing this, because you keep telling me, that TSVN uses standard installer and behaves like any other software, while actually it does everything differently then other programs and what most users got used to.
>
> Let's keep this thing short. Can you point me out any other software, that uses such brute-force method of updating itself?
>
>> If you're so certain that this is happening out of sheer laziness and
>> there *must* be a better way, you're welcome to work on fixing it
>> yourself.
>
> I can't. Because -- as you claim -- TSVN uses standard MSI installer. I would have to get hired there to fix it. If there is anything to fix, as -- as I keep claiming -- this is the only known to me piece of software, that uses so brute-force installation routine.
>
> Cheers,
> Trejder
>

What is the problem, exactly? Why can't you just choose the option to
apply the upgrade when the system is rebooted and then reboot at your
convenience?

Are you suggesting that the TSVN authors remove the ability to kill
applications that are using the affected DLLs and install the upgrade
without rebooting?

-Ben

------------------------------------------------------
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=3029455

To unsubscribe from this discussion, e-mail: [users-unsubscribe_at_tortoisesvn.tigris.org].
Received on 2012-11-19 19:32:27 CET

This is an archived mail posted to the TortoiseSVN Users mailing list.