RE: Merge "Out of date" problem
From: Todd C. Gleason <tgleason_at_impac.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 07:06:49 -0700
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Simon Large [mailto:simon.tortoisesvn_at_googlemail.com]
> Sent: Friday, May 15, 2009 6:15 AM
> To: users_at_tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> Subject: Re: Merge "Out of date" problem
> 2009/5/15 <webpost_at_tigris.org>:
> > Hello,
> > I think I've found a bug with Tortoise SVN.
> > I always get the following error "Filer or directory '.' is out of
> try updating"
> > I've tried to do an update but it doesn't fix the problem.
> > This happens after doing a merge.
> > Maybe the problem is with the new merge tracking feature.
> > I've compared the folder with the previous version and the only
> difference is that the new version have the merge tracking properties.
> This description is too vague to give any idea what might be
> happening. Please describe the exact steps you followed, the exact
> error message and when it appears.
This happens to me all the time but I think it's not TSVN, but the
Literally, I have a clean WC that has done a commit as its last
Error: Commit failed (details follow):
Error: File or directory '.' is out of date; try updating
Error: resource out of date; try updating
I think it generally (always?) prints out the listing of modifications,
What typically works for me is to do another svn update after the merge,
Since I am the one who wrote our internal wiki, what I have suggested to
1. Sometimes your commit actually succeeded on the server.
1. To check whether this happened, look at the revision log. If
1. Revert (TortoiseSVN->Revert) your local changes.
2. Update (SVN Update) to get them back from the server.
2. Your working copy may actually be out of date in some obscure
1. Update (SVN Update).
2. Commit (SVN Commit) again.
3. In rare cases I have had to repeat the update and commit a few
3. Your working copy may be a little messed up.
1. Clean up your working copy (TortoiseSVN->Clean up).
2. Update (SVN Update).
3. Commit (SVN Commit) again.
4. And as in the previous case, there may be rare cases where you
I really wish so much of my instructions didn't look like hand-waving,
To unsubscribe from this discussion, e-mail: [users-unsubscribe_at_tortoisesvn.tigris.org].
This is an archived mail posted to the TortoiseSVN Users mailing list.