[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

RE: Merge "Out of date" problem

From: Todd C. Gleason <tgleason_at_impac.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 07:06:49 -0700

> -----Original Message-----

> From: Simon Large [mailto:simon.tortoisesvn_at_googlemail.com]

> Sent: Friday, May 15, 2009 6:15 AM

> To: users_at_tortoisesvn.tigris.org

> Subject: Re: Merge "Out of date" problem


> 2009/5/15 <webpost_at_tigris.org>:

> > Hello,

> > I think I've found a bug with Tortoise SVN.

> >

> > I always get the following error "Filer or directory '.' is out of

> try updating"

> > I've tried to do an update but it doesn't fix the problem.

> >

> > This happens after doing a merge.

> >

> > Maybe the problem is with the new merge tracking feature.

> > I've compared the folder with the previous version and the only

> difference is that the new version have the merge tracking properties.


> This description is too vague to give any idea what might be

> happening. Please describe the exact steps you followed, the exact

> error message and when it appears.


This happens to me all the time but I think it's not TSVN, but the
Subversion client libraries doing it. It happens to me more if I do a
larger merge (more revisions or more files affected). We have some
subtree mergeinfo as well; I don't know if that's related. This occurs
in the typical merge from branch to trunk scenario (and probably in
other scenarios).


Literally, I have a clean WC that has done a commit as its last
operation. Now I do an svn update, then a merge, then a commit, and I
get this kind of error:


Command: Commit

Modified: [path]

Error: Commit failed (details follow):

Error: File or directory '.' is out of date; try updating

Error: resource out of date; try updating



I think it generally (always?) prints out the listing of modifications,
and fails before it says it is actually sending any data.


What typically works for me is to do another svn update after the merge,
and then try to commit. This doesn't always work, however. If it
fails, I do an svn cleanup, svn update, and then commit. I usually do
all these via TSVN. I've seen this problem in versions of Svn/TSVN
based on Svn 1.5.2, 1.5.4, and 1.6.1 (which is all the 1.5+ versions I
have seriously used).


Since I am the one who wrote our internal wiki, what I have suggested to
my fellow developers is based on
http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#wc-out-of-date but with a little
more to it based on my own experiences:


1. Sometimes your commit actually succeeded on the server.

1. To check whether this happened, look at the revision log. If
your commit actually succeeded:

1. Revert (TortoiseSVN->Revert) your local changes.

2. Update (SVN Update) to get them back from the server.

2. Your working copy may actually be out of date in some obscure

1. Update (SVN Update).

2. Commit (SVN Commit) again.

3. In rare cases I have had to repeat the update and commit a few
times. This isn't generally supposed to be necessary, but in one case
it was.

3. Your working copy may be a little messed up.

1. Clean up your working copy (TortoiseSVN->Clean up).

2. Update (SVN Update).

3. Commit (SVN Commit) again.

4. And as in the previous case, there may be rare cases where you
have to repeat the update and commit steps.


I really wish so much of my instructions didn't look like hand-waving,
but I haven't come up with anything better, nor any "good" explanation
of why this happens. It's very annoying though, and it occurs so
commonly that now I generally make it standard practice to just do an
svn update after the merge, before I even try to commit, and almost all
of the time this works.


To unsubscribe from this discussion, e-mail: [users-unsubscribe_at_tortoisesvn.tigris.org].
Received on 2009-05-15 16:09:09 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the TortoiseSVN Users mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.