Nicolai Scheer wrote:
> We are using tsvn 1.5.3 on the client side and svn 1.4.4 on the server side.
> I did a branch of the trunk to obtain a feature branch. Work in the
> trunk continued and I tried to synchronize the trunk with the feature
> branch. (feature-branch was not touched since its creation)
> Here are the steps:
> /trunk - head was r7226
> copy r7226 of /trunk to /branches/feature-1
> Work in the trunk, head is now 7276.
> First thing that made me think was the merge I did to synchronize:
> To my mind, I had to merge r7226 - r7276 from trunk into the branch. But
> if I select such a range, Tsvn actually tries to merge 7226 again,
> resulting in a merge of r7225 - r7276. So I changed the range to r7227 -
> r7276. Now, the merge command reads (displayed in grey) "merging
> revisions 7226 - r7276", but just a line below it says "merging 7227
> trough 7276". I think this is due to the fact, that tsvn tries to help
> the user when he tries to merge a single revision, say r1234, which is
> not possible, because r1234 actually is the changes from r1233 to r1234,
> correct? So when merging such a range, I just have to make sure, that
> tsvn gets the borders right. The merge command in the merge output
> dialoge is the "correct" one when thinking of raw svn commands, isn't it?
The first line (in grey) shows you the merge range.
The second line is an information from the Subversion library what range
it is merging (you can get multiple ranges when doing a merge). The fact
that the second line has 7226 not included means that Subversion has
detected that revision 7226 does not need to be merged.
> Then, after I merged the trunk changes to the feature branch I diffed
> the two urls /trunk and /branches/feature-1 using the repo browser. As
> expected, they are equal. Then, starting from a working copy of the
> trunk, I tried to merge the feature-branch back into the trunk
> (manually, server side is still 1.4.4). The steps:
> Working copy of the trunk, context-menu, merge
> Merge two different trees,
> Start: /trunk head, To: /branches/feature-1 head, apply to working copy
> of trunk
> Now something confusing happens: The merge dialogue pops up and states
> that 3 files have been updated. That should not be the case, since no
> work was done on that feature-branch. The repo-browser comparison did
> not show any changes, so that seems strange. After finishing the merge,
> I tried to commit those "changes" on the trunk. But the commit dialogue
> states "no files changed".
The merge info shown during a merge is not always 100% accurate,
especially if you don't actually execute the merge but use "test merge".
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net
Received on 2008-10-28 19:51:00 CET