[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: filenames containg %

From: Stefan Küng <tortoisesvn_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 17:20:35 +0200

elonderin wrote:
> hi,
>
> sorry about my fast and incomplete report here, but i'm not upset. i
> just wanted to report my issues i have come across and probably should
> have been more precise.
> but mostly i posted them so u can be aware of these issues and see for
> urself if u care to try to reproduce them.

Yes, always remember that we have to reproduce an issue before we can
fix it. :)

> anyhow, here are more details:
>
>> move, how?
> usually i work with the cmd line client except for committing which i
> usually do with TSVN as it gives u file level control easier than what
> one can do on the cmd line. hence i did this first:
>
> 1. with the cmd line client moved the files to an sub folder (already
> exists in SVN) like so: > svn mv adi* subfolder
> 2. then i tried committing with tsvn, that failed with, i think, the
> "Could not read response body: Secure connection truncated ..."
> message.

"Secure connection truncated" indicates a firewall/virus scanner
interferring. I guess the one you have thinks urls with '%' in them are
dangerous and tries to do some escaping itself.
Try disabling those and try again. I bet it will work then...

> 3. then i tried doing this also in repro browser via drag and drop
> (DnD), no avail.

The repository browser does have problems with '%' in urls. But only if
you enter those urls in the url box. Because then, the repository
browser can't be sure whether you entered the '%' because you escaped
the url already or whether it still has to escape the '%' char itself.

Simple copy/move operations should succeed, whether the filename has
special chars in it or not (with one exception: if a file/foldername has
the '*' char in it, the repobrowser won't work - but you couldn't check
out such paths on Windows either, so there's not much of a problem here).

> 4. then i remembered there are issues when the repository doesnt live
> @ the given URL. eg. behind a firewall with redirection, which is my
> case here. hence i switched from the publicly seen URL starting with
> https://<host1>/svn/... to the internally seen one (http://
> web-003:2000/svn/....)
> 5. tried again to move in repro browser via DnD, but problem persisted
> 6. started to narrow down, what file causes the problem
> 7. did the manual encoding on the cmd line as already written above.

Can you maybe give us your layout and the full urls (omit the server
part if you like). For example:
https://server/svn/folder
https://server/svn/folder/file % test.txt
https://server/svn/folder/file2.txt
https://server/svn/anotherfolder

and then where you tried to move those:
* selected https://server/svn/folder
* moved https://server/svn/folder to https://server/svn/anotherfolder
* error message was "..." (please the *full* error message)

> for the other problems i reported:
> - umlauts: if u say that works: good for u. i just doesnt for me. but
> it might be only related to the URL translation of the firewall.
> havent tested the internal URL on this. but will do next time i come
> across it.

Umlauts are really no problem in TSVN and/or Subversion. I have a test
repository here which contains files and folders with names that even
have chars that my OS doesn't have the right fonts to show them
properly, and even those work without problems.

Stefan

-- 
       ___
  oo  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"
 (_,\/ \_/ \     TortoiseSVN
   \ \_/_\_/>    The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
   /_/   \_\     http://tortoisesvn.net

Received on 2008-08-28 17:21:01 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the TortoiseSVN Users mailing list.