[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: How to read 3-way differences in TortoiseMerge?

From: Simon Large <simon.tortoisesvn_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 22:52:00 +0100

2008/7/23 Robert Dailey <rcdailey_at_gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Stefan Küng <tortoisesvn_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Robert Dailey wrote:
>>>
>>> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Stefan Küng <tortoisesvn_at_gmail.com
>>> <mailto:tortoisesvn_at_gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Robert Dailey wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> When I do an SVN Update, I notice a few items that are "Merged"
>>> (green). I right click these and go to "Compare with Working
>>> Copy" because I'm interested in seeing *what was merged into
>>> what I already have*. However, I end up getting horribly
>>> confused because it's not showing me anything useful. I have no
>>> idea how to read the differences. What is it comparing against?
>>>
>>>
>>> It shows you on the top left the file from the repository, compared
>>> against BASE. On the right, you see your file (with your local
>>> modifications) compared against BASE.
>>> And on the bottom, you see the merged result, compared against BASE.
>>>
>>>
>>> What version from the repository is being compared against base in the
>>> top-left window? I noticed changes in there that were from a few revisions
>>> back from what I actually got during this particular update. What two files
>>> are being merged in the bottom pane?
>>
>> The revision from the repository is the last-commit-rev of the item you've
>> updated (usually the parent folder).
>>
>> the bottom pane shows the merge result of the file in the repository and
>> BASE.
>
> I'm still pretty confused about that top-left pane.
>
> You say it's the merge result of the last commit revision and BASE. BASE I'm
> assuming is the lastest revision of that file that I have in my working
> copy. The last commit revision seems like it would be the exact same thing,
> since my last update OBTAINED the last commit revision (as it would have
> been committed by someone else). The file showed the following:
>
> The changes for *this* update (the update that resulted in me viewing the
> diff in the first place)
> Changes from about 2-3 updates back (These shouldn't be showing up, as they
> have nothing to do with what I care about... which is the changes obtained
> in *this* update)
>
> Sorry for being slow about this. I appreciate you taking the time to explain
> this to me.

I'm guessing here, but I could imagine TSVN noting the last-commit
revision of the item being updated before doing the update, then using
that revision as the basis for the 3-way diff. Does that make any more
sense of your data?

Simon

-- 
: ___
: oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
: (_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
: \ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
: /_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe_at_tortoisesvn.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help_at_tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Received on 2008-07-23 23:52:11 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the TortoiseSVN Users mailing list.