We encountered a problem while using TortoiseMerge with utf8 encoded XML files. TortoiseMerge seems to destroy the text.
Windows XP professional
service pack 2
TortoiseSVN 1.3.5, Build 6804 - 32 Bit
berkeley db 4.3.28
OpenSSL 0.9.8a 11 Oct 2005
What was done (described in probably too much detail):
- A file "EG3000_testdatabase.xml" was created and committed. This file has XML format and contains utf8 encoded text. A part of this is in japanese, chinese or russian.
- A little change was done (line 197: 1 character) and the file was committed again
- The file was selected in windows explorer and "tortoise SVN / show Log" was activated
- In the list of log messages, two versions are visible. The older one was selected and "compare with working copy" was activated
- TortoiseMerge opens
- The one line, which was changed before, was highlighted
- in the right screen ("working copy"), this line was selected and with right click the "use other text block" command was isuued.
- the text in the right screen changes and is identical to the left screen now.
- the "save file" button was pressed and TortoiseMerge was closed
- When I now right click on the file in the windows explorer and do a "tortoiseSVN / diff", I see that my local file is destroyed.
All chinese/japanese/russian texts were changed. (lines 218,224,227, 280, 286, 289, 342, 348, 351)
the original XML file: EG3000_testdatabase.xml
the destroyed XML file: EG3000_testdatabase_corrupt.xml
We checked with Tortoise SVN v1.3.3, Build 6219 - 32 Bit. This version does not have the problem.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
The information in this e-mail is confidential and intended solely for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail, delete this e-mail, and refrain from any disclosure or action based on the information.
Received on Tue Jul 4 16:34:33 2006
To unsubscribe, e-mail: email@example.com
For additional commands, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org