[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: 301 Moved Perm error -- only with TSVN!

From: Eric Horne <subversion_at_box11.org>
Date: 2006-04-20 01:52:16 CEST

Stefan Küng wrote:
> Eric Horne wrote:
>
>> I'm running Fedora Core 5/ SVN 1.3.1 for a server. TortoiseSVN 1.3.3
>> from a windows XP Media Center 2005 client. I'm hoping someone can
>> point me in the right direction here.
>>
>> Using TortoiseSVN, if I try to execute a merge of changes made to the
>> trunk into a branch I have, I get an "301 Moved Permanently" error
>> from the server. If I do what I think is exactly the same command from
>> my command-line SVN client or even Subclipse, I get no such error.
>
> You don't tell here if it works if you try the SVN client or Subclipse
> on *windows* or on your linux box. If on linux, then please try the SVN
> client on windows too.

Sorry. I used the SVN client on windows. In fact, same machine. Use
TSVN, merge fails. Drag the mouse over to a command line and run the
aforementioned svn merge command, and the merge is successful. I think
later I mention this is all from the same machine. but anyway, yes all
the client activity is on the same Windows box.

> There's also a FAQ entry about 301 errors:
> https://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#http-301-error
> but judging from your posts to the subversion users list I assume you've
> already checked that one.

Yes. Checked it. I didn't find anything that could help me with my
problem in that FAQ.

>> Example: I create a brand new repository on the linux box, correct
>> permissions and all. Create a "trunk", a "branches" , and a
>> "branches/b1". I create and commit hello.txt into "trunk" (creating
>> rev 4). I branch it to branches/b1. I change the trunk/hello.txt to
>> create a rev 6. I do all this through tortoiseSVN successfully. Now i
>> go to apply the changes between rev 4 and rev 6 to my current working
>> copy (branches/b1/hello.txt). Executing a dry-run yields a 301 error.
>> If I do the following command from the same client, it is successful
>> (in the working directory)
>>
>> svn merge -r 4:6 http://svn.myserver.com/testrepo/trunk/hello.txt
>
> According to our docs:
> http://tortoisesvn.sourceforge.net/docs/nightly/TortoiseSVN_en/tsvn-cli-main.html#tsvn-cli-merge
>
> you should try
> svn merge --force [--dry-run]
> http://svn.myserver.com/testrepo/trunk/hello.txt@4
> http://svn.myserver.com/testrepo/trunk/hello.txt@6
>
> And please do that on the same windows box you use TSVN on. Otherwise
> the test isn't really accurate.

Same box. Failed with TSVN. Drag the mouse over to the command line, run
the command you supplied. I get the following output:
----------------------
C:\testrepo> svn merge --force ...
C hello.txt

----------------------

and hello.txt has these contents:

----------------------
> C:\testrepo>type hello.txt
> <<<<<<< .working
> hello! (rev 1)=======
> hello! (rev 1)
> Hello to you. (change 2)
>>>>>>>> .merge-right.r6
----------------------

> I somehow doubt that it's a TSVN problem, because TSVN uses the
> Subversion library to do the merge. So you should get the same errors
> with the SVN client on windows as you do with TSVN.

I agree :) Thanks for your help, Stefan!

-Eric

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Received on Thu Apr 20 01:53:41 2006

This is an archived mail posted to the TortoiseSVN Users mailing list.