[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: TSVNCache process eating all the available CPU

From: Stefan Küng <tortoisesvn_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 20:02:58 +0200

Jacques Lemire wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ------------
> Summary: I'm have been using SUBST drives for the root of my main WCs for a
> while with TSVN1.4.3. After upgrading to 1.5, TSVNCache eats all of the
> available CPU. Excluding SUBST drives from the Icons Overlay menu solves the
> problem.
> ------------
>
> I have been running 1.4.3 for some time and everything was running smoothly. It
> is quite a typical setup, but I am using SUBST drives as a shorthand for my WC
> of the trunk and release branch of our product. For that to work, i had to ask
> tortoise exclude my C: drive and include both drives I: and K: so that they
> don't get scanned twice (that's what I understood).
>
> This was working perfectly. However, TSVN has been advising me to update to the
> latest version for some time and, seeing on the website that "TortoiseSVN 1.5
> [...] is considered the current stable and "best" release", I decided to give it
> a go.
>
> The install went well, and everything looks perfect now. Except my Task Manager
> which reports that one of my 2 virtual cpus (hyperthreading) is under a 100%
> load due to TSVNCache.exe. I did reboot when requested so that is not the
> problem. I tried a couple of things, which did not help, but I noticed that the
> problem disappears if I exclude my SUBST drives from the Icons Overlay menu.
>
> OS information:
> Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
>
> TSVN About -> Version information:
> TortoiseSVN 1.5.0, Build 13316 - 32 Bit , 2008/06/21 07:55:29
> Subversion 1.5.0,
> apr 1.2.12
> apr-utils 1.2.12
> berkeley db 4.4.20
> neon 0.28.2
> OpenSSL 0.9.8g 19 Oct 2007
> zlib 1.2.3
>
> My Autoexec.bat looks like this:
> subst I: C:\Home\dev\soir\V1.0.0
> subst J: C:\env
> subst K: C:\Home\dev\soir\trunk
>
> The problematic TSVN Icons Overlay config that used to work:
> Exclude:
> C:\*
> J:\*
> Include:
> I:\*
> K:\*
>
> The TSVN Icons Overlay config that works:
> Exclude:
> C:\*
> J:\*
> I:\*
> K:\*
> Include:
> C:\Home\dev\soir*
>
> A FileMon output shows that it loops on files in the first WC it finds. All file
> accesses and ok, but once for each folder an error occurs when looking for
> dir-props. Maybe it's normal for backwards compatibility, maybe it is a problem
> with my WC. I will paste an example here:
> 12:59:21 PM TSVNCache.exe:3176 FASTIO_QUERY_OPEN
> C:\Home\dev\soir\trunk\CodeSource\Cmdlets\Admin\.svn\dir-props NOT FOUND
> Attributes: Error
>
> Hope I gave enough info to help you pinpoint the problem. I hope I can use my
> SUBST drives again soon!

Run update and cleanup on your working copy. That will update your
working copies to the new format. After that, status fetching should
work ok again.

Stefan

-- 
        ___
   oo  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"
  (_,\/ \_/ \     TortoiseSVN
    \ \_/_\_/>    The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
    /_/   \_\     http://tortoisesvn.net

Received on 2008-06-25 20:03:24 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the TortoiseSVN Dev mailing list.