[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: TortoiseSVN 1.5.0-alpha1 - compatibility

From: Stefan KŁng <tortoisesvn_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 08:48:18 +0100

Ulf Zibis wrote:
> Am 22.03.2008 21:24, Stefan KŁng schrieb:
>> Ulf Zibis wrote:
>>> Is this warning also true, if I only have Subversion 1.4.6 installed
>>> (in contrast to Subversion 1.5.0)?
>>
>> Since you already have TSVN 1.4.99 build 11652 installed, the upgrade
>> of your working copy has already been done. Since you claim that your
>> Netbeans IDE still can work with those I have to assume that you don't
>> use the same working copies with the IDE and TSVN?
>> Otherwise I really don't know why the Netbeans IDE still could use
>> your working copies.
>>
>> But: since you have no problems with the TSVN version you already
>> installed, you can install the beta1 version without any (more) problems.
>>
>> Stefan
>>
> Thanks for your additional answer. It helps me to discover the problem
> on a deeper level.
>
> IMHO you are right _and_ wrong.
>
> TSVN 1.4.99 does not upgrade the working copy automatically in any case.
> Just installing or e.g. "Check for modifications" doesn't change
> anything, and when it upgrades, it does it partly (e.g. on "Update")
> only on the folder, you are working on, so I ended up in a mixed state
> working copy yesterday.
> This behavior explains, why I could use TSVN nightly builds and my
> NetBeans IDE in parallel since 17.07.2007 without problems.

Yes of course. I thought that was clear, sorry. A Subversion client only
updates the working copy format if you actually *use* it on a working
copy where the working copy would get changed anyway (but those are most
commands).

> So I felt secure long time until I installed build 11652 in 22.12.2007.
> Then I became problems (don't remember which), so I uninstalled TSVN
> completely.
> The announcement of 1.5.0 alpha encouraged me, to try it again, and then
> I recognized the warning the first time.
> So I installed TSVN 1.4.99 build 11652 again 2 days ago, as I thought,
> that it *didn't* upgrade the working copy, and posted my question about
> 1.5.0 alpha.
> Since you didn't answer "Is this warning also true, if I only have
> Subversion 1.4.6 installed (in contrast to Subversion 1.5.0)?", I did
> more experiments and executed an "Update" on a folder, where some files
> have been marked as modified.
> After this I had a big mess: NetBeans svn client didn't work anymore on
> the several folders, so I first uninstalled TSVN. After 4 hours hard
> work, I repaired my working copy successfully *without* using complete
> new checkout, as I wanted to *save* the modified timestamps of my local
> files as complete as possible.
>
> So I assume, that TSVN uses its own svn libraries regardless of the
> installed svn.exe.

Yes, TSVN doesn't use svn.exe at all.
But you could install the Subversion binaries version 1.5.0-beta1 and
then have your netbeans IDE use those instead:
http://merge-tracking.open.collab.net/

> Conclusion:
> Please show a BIG warning dialogue BEFORE TortoiseSVN starts upgrading
> parts of the WC to a new version, with the hint, that only 'reading'
> commands are harmless, and give a choice to abort.

Such a warning is not really possible. Because TSVN doesn't know
beforehand if a command would update the format or not - it depends on
the command parameters and the server/repository.

Stefan

-- 
        ___
   oo  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"
  (_,\/ \_/ \     TortoiseSVN
    \ \_/_\_/>    The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
    /_/   \_\     http://tortoisesvn.net

Received on 2008-03-24 08:49:15 CET

This is an archived mail posted to the TortoiseSVN Dev mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.