[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

SV: svn:external Pin on Branch Option

From: Hans-Emil Skogh <Hans-Emil.Skogh_at_tritech.se>
Date: 2007-04-11 16:53:26 CEST

> I was thinking that a really useful and quick feature for TSVN
> could be to have a checkbox on the Branch/Copy dialog for pinning
> external revisions to their current revision.
> Does this make sense?

I would say that it sort of makes sense.

It definitely makes sense to pin external revisions when tagging. I
would even go as far as saying that externals *always* should be pinned.
I rely on subversion history for other points in time than tags, and I
depend on that each and every revision provides me with a deterministic
state of the source. To do that, externals can never "float", but must
always be "pinned".

In other words: You will be better of by changing your working practice
and keep your externals pinned all the time instead.


PS. I do realise that there are times when it can be very cumbersome to
maintain relevant pinning on a rapidly changing external. But I would
say that in 99.9% of the cases it's worth it, and the remaining 0.1%
does not warrant a change. DS.

PPS. I could even go as far as suggesting that we should add a hint or
warning when creating an external that is not "pinned", since it WILL
break history... DDS.

To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Received on Wed Apr 11 16:54:08 2007

This is an archived mail posted to the TortoiseSVN Dev mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.