[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Broken WC errornously attempts to add an existing file during commit

From: Mikkel Kirkgaard Nielsen <MKN_at_compugame.dk>
Date: 2006-05-22 14:39:49 CEST

Hi TSVN developers,

first, thanks for the great SVN interface, i've been looking for
something similar for our Linux workstations without luck...

I suspect the following error might be a generic problem in the SVN WC
libraries (at least the WC is broken from the command line on my Linux
workstation too). But as I don't know exactly where you guys end and the
SVN libs kicks in I am posting here for a starters.

We've been using SVN in our development department since we started work
on our upcoming embedded platform in march 2005. We have used primarily
the SVN command line client on Linux for acessing the repository. Over
time we have also been adding a couple of Windows based tools for our
current platform to the SVN repository, thus been using TSVN for
acessing these.

In three incidents we have experienced a form of corruption in our
working base triggered by access from TSVN (but never from SVN CLI
access). No common actions or special operations had been done prior to
experiencing this error.

It shows itself when trying to commit changes made in a WC. Some already
existing files are seen by the TSVN client as new additions instead of
changes to existing files, thus the repository fails adding them and
aborts the commit. This can be seen in the screenshot at
http://www.compugame.dk/pub/TSVN-Error_Commit.jpg where the files
"TestDataGeneratorProject.res" and "TestDataGeneratorProject.exe" are
reported as additions even though they exist in the repository.

In the screenshot at
http://www.compugame.dk/pub/TSVN-Error_Check_for_modifications.jpg I've
done a "SVN Check for modifications" which also detects the files as
additions. Additionally the shot shows a log window confirming that the
files have in fact been comitted in r207 (and they are present in the
trunk of r215 too, which the commit failure confirms).

It seems like the information about the files in the working base of the
WC has been removed (by TSVN?) and subsequent reverts (reverts back to
no file) and updates (repeatedly asks to CleanUp) doesn't solve this. We
haven't been able to resolve the issue in the WC, and our solution so
far has been to check out the project in a new WC and copying the
changed files to the new WC and then comitting.

Acessing the failing WC from my Linux workstation yields the same

MKN@pc069cglx:~/faelles/MKN/Total overblik_errornous
add_test/Testdatagenerator$ svn st -v
?                                       TestDataGeneratorProject.obj
?                                       MainFormUnit.obj
?                                       TestDataGeneratorProject.~cpp
?                                       MainFormUnit.~cpp
?                                       TestDataGeneratorProject.~bpr
?                                       MainFormUnit.~h
?                                       TestDataGeneratorProject.tds
?                                       MainFormUnit.~dfm
?                                       MainFormUnit.~ddp
?                                       MainFormUnit.ddp
              215      215 ivh          .
A               0       ?   ?           TestDataGeneratorProject.res
A               0       ?   ?           TestDataGeneratorProject.exe
              215      215 ivh          TestDataGeneratorProject.cpp
M             215      215 ivh          MainFormUnit.cpp
M             215      215 ivh          TestDataGeneratorProject.bpr
M             215      215 ivh          MainFormUnit.dfm
M             215      215 ivh          MainFormUnit.h
MKN@pc069cglx:~/faelles/MKN/Total overblik_errornous
Here's some info on the WC and exe file:
MKN@pc069cglx:~/faelles/MKN/Total overblik_errornous
add_test/Testdatagenerator$ svn info
Path: .
URL: svn://cg-exch/Total%20overblik/trunk/Testdatagenerator
Repository UUID: 73dfe12d-a0fc-1243-a1c5-6af9fd98ceb3
Revision: 215
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: ivh
Last Changed Rev: 215
Last Changed Date: 2005-10-24 14:29:16 +0200 (Mon, 24 Oct 2005)
MKN@pc069cglx:~/faelles/MKN/Total overblik_errornous
add_test/Testdatagenerator$ svn info TestDataGeneratorProject.exe
Path: TestDataGeneratorProject.exe
Name: TestDataGeneratorProject.exe
Revision: 0
Node Kind: file
Schedule: add
MKN@pc069cglx:~/faelles/MKN/Total overblik_errornous
The same thing has happened in two different paths (same repository) and
the problem has been with binary objects only. Another incident involved
a graphic designer who has only been taught to commit changes so I'm
pretty sure she hasn't beeen tampering with the WC in any way.
Screenshots taken using the latest TSVN release 1.3.3 build 6219
The repository is a svnserve (upgraded recently, can't remember exact
revision) running on 
Windows Server 2003 using fs_fs database. 
I have a "pristine" copy of the WC before we attempted any recovery, so
any suggestions or analysis attempts can be readily performed.
Actually I just peeked into the .svn directory and can see that the
entries in .svn\text-base and .svn\props-base (but not .svn\props) is
missing for the two files exhibiting the error.
Thanks & regards,
Mikkel Kirkgaard Nielsen
-Software Engineer (B.sc EE)
-Compu-Game A/S, R & D dep.
-Phone: (+45) 76109877 
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Received on Mon May 22 14:44:55 2006

This is an archived mail posted to the TortoiseSVN Dev mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.