[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: [Subclipse-users] Can't create folder with square brackets

From: Mark Phippard <markphip_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 07:11:46 -0400

Is it not pretty clear already that is what we have tried to do? Find one better and let us know.

> On Oct 24, 2014, at 7:05 AM, David Balažic <david.balazic_at_comtrade.com> wrote:
> Yes, there it reproduces for me too. (trying to create a folder in the »SVN Repository Exploring« perspective)
> I updated to subclipse 1.10.6 and now the characters [ and ] work, but others still don't, like # or %.
> I suggest using an existing encoding method instead of reinventing the wheel, because »home made« solutions are always full of problems like these.
> Regards,
> David Balažic
> Software Engineer
> www.comtrade.com
> From: Stephen Elsemore [mailto:selsemore_at_collab.net]
> Sent: 23. October 2014 16:07
> To: users_at_subclipse.tigris.org
> Subject: Re: [Subclipse-users] Can't create folder with square brackets
> Importance: Low
> I was able to reproduce the problem by right clicking a folder in the SVN Repositories view, selecting New -> New remote folder, and then trying to add a folder with square brackets in the name. I got:
> org.apache.subversion.javahl.ClientException: Bogus URL svn: URL 'myurlwithbrackets' is not properly URI-encoded
> I got similar errors if I tried to show history for a folder or file with square brackets in the name.
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 4:01 PM, Mark Phippard <markphip_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 9:45 AM, David Balažic <david.balazic_at_comtrade.com> wrote:
> I was curious and tried to reproduce the problem, but could not.
> I have Eclipse Kepler SR-2 (v4.3.2) with:
> Subclipse (Required) 1.10.5
> Subversion Client Adapter (Required) 1.10.1
> Subversion JavaHL Native Library Adapter 1.8.10
> With repository on VisualSVN Server 3.0.0
> I created , updated, viewed the log of a folder with sqaure brackets in its name but everything worked without error.
> Does the error happen in some special circumstances?
> Steve fixed this before I ever tried it. Not sure what he did to test it. The OP mentions creating a folder. Did you try doing it against the remote repository? It is possible you do not see this if you do it locally and then just commit the folder.
> In general, when a URL is passed to the SVN API it has to be URI-encoded. So, as an example, we have to convert spaces to %20. Any character that has to be converted to a %xx value has to be done this way. We handle this in the toString() method of our SVNUrl class:
> public String toString() {
> // The URI class will throw Exception if there are spaces in the URL, but it seems
> // to handle other classes OK. I tested with @ + and Unicode characters. It leaves
> // the @ and + alone and converts Unicode to %nn. It is possible there are other
> // characters we need to replace here besides space.
> String s = get().replace(" ", "%20").replace("[", "%5B").replace("]","%5D");
> try {
> URI u = new URI(s);
> return u.toASCIIString();
> } catch (URISyntaxException e) {
> return s;
> }
> }
> So most of the work happens in the URI.toASCIIString() method that we call. As the comment notes, this method does not convert spaces (and possibly other characters). I assume that Steve confirmed that it does not convert brackets and so he added those to the manual exceptions. I have not checked if that is right or wrong, but that is what is needed here in general.
> SVN itself handles all of this fine internally. The only issue is when we have to directly provide one of these URL's in an API call.
> --
> Thanks
> Mark Phippard
> http://markphip.blogspot.com/


To unsubscribe from this discussion, e-mail: [users-unsubscribe_at_subclipse.tigris.org].
Received on 2014-10-24 13:11:55 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the Subclipse Users mailing list.