[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: [Subclipse-users] Erroneous 'Commit failed' message

From: Paul Barratt <noodle63_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 22:58:51 +0100

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply. I have now installed the Collab.net subversion client 1.5.2 (after trying and failing to compile
the source - since no binary of subversion 1.5.2 is available for ubuntu - I read one of your other posts and used the
RedHat .rpm version instead).

I added the collab.net library to eclipse.ini as mentioned in their wiki and lo and behold, JavaHL seems happier -
Eclipse Preferences Team -> SVN -> Client now says "JavaHL (JNI) 1.5.2 (r32768)" instead of "Not available".
By now I was starting to get excited!
But alas, when I tried to do a commit I got a similar message:

commit -m "test" /home/paul/source/workspace/myproject/build.properties
     Sending source/workspace/myproject/build.properties
     Transmitting file data ...
     Invalid argument
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Can't convert string from native encoding to 'UTF-8':
svn: <?\224

In addition, the workspace/.metadata/.log contains this:
org.tigris.subversion.svnclientadapter.SVNClientException: org.tigris.subversion.javahl.ClientException: Invalid argument
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Can't convert string from native encoding to 'UTF-8':
svn: <?\224

        at org.tigris.subversion.svnclientadapter.javahl.AbstractJhlClientAdapter.commit(AbstractJhlClientAdapter.java:316)
        at org.tigris.subversion.subclipse.core.commands.CheckinResourcesCommand$1.run(CheckinResourcesCommand.java:118)
        at org.tigris.subversion.subclipse.core.SVNProviderPlugin$5.run(SVNProviderPlugin.java:468)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.run(Workspace.java:1800)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.run(Workspace.java:1782)
        at org.tigris.subversion.subclipse.core.SVNProviderPlugin.run(SVNProviderPlugin.java:463)
        at org.tigris.subversion.subclipse.core.commands.CheckinResourcesCommand.run(CheckinResourcesCommand.java:94)
        at org.tigris.subversion.subclipse.core.SVNTeamProvider.checkin(SVNTeamProvider.java:139)
        at org.tigris.subversion.subclipse.ui.operations.CommitOperation.execute(CommitOperation.java:124)
        at org.tigris.subversion.subclipse.ui.operations.SVNOperation.run(SVNOperation.java:89)
        at org.eclipse.team.internal.ui.actions.JobRunnableContext.run(JobRunnableContext.java:144)
        at org.eclipse.team.internal.ui.actions.JobRunnableContext$ResourceJob.runInWorkspace(JobRunnableContext.java:72)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.InternalWorkspaceJob.run(InternalWorkspaceJob.java:38)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)
Caused by: org.tigris.subversion.javahl.ClientException: Invalid argument

I wonder what and where the invalid argument is?

I've also set up Eclipse 3.4.1 on an XP box, and I get the same error message using SvnKit. Although it says JavaHL is
installed, I don't have a svn client on that PC to try it with.

Any ideas?


Mark Phippard wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 12:47 PM, Paul Barratt <noodle63_at_googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I'm consistently getting 'commit failed' messages in Eclipse when in fact
>> the commit does succeed.
>> Background:
>> I'm running Kubuntu 8.04 with Sun JRE 1.6.0_06-b02 and Eclipse version 3.4.1
>> on my new laptop (the old one died last
>> week - that worked without problems). My subversion server is version
>> 1.4.5 running on Mandriva 2008, and I'm
>> connecting to svn using the svn+ssh protocol.
>> Eclipse is using SVNKit v1.2.0.4927. There is also a choice of 'JavaHL
>> (JNI) Not Available' in the Eclipse prefs, which
>> does not appear to make any difference to the situation. And despite
>> Eclipse saying 'Not Available', it says I have
>> 'Subversion Native Library Adapter (JavaHL) version' installed.
> That is pretty normal if the native library is not available. See this:
> http://desktop-eclipse.open.collab.net/wiki/JavaHL
>> Description of problem:
>> I do a fresh checkout of my project in Eclipse.
>> I do 'update' and 'refresh' on a text file eg 'build.properties' (but all
>> files have the same problem)
>> The local file is at revision 1380
>> I make a change and save the file
>> The outgoing change shows up in the Team Synch perspective. I commit it.
>> I get this message in the Eclipse SVN Console:
>> ---------
>> commit -m "testing" /home/paul/source/workspace/myproject/build.properties
>> Sending /home/paul/source/workspace/myproject/build.properties
>> Transmitting file data ...
>> svn: Commit failed (details follow):
>> svn: Commit failed (details follow):
>> svn: <?\224 svn: Can't convert string from native encoding to 'UTF-8':
>> ---------
>> The character sequence '<?\224' is not present in the file.
>> However, the commit has succeeded - I can checkout the change on a different
>> PC using the svn command line and can also
>> view it in Trac, see it in the SVN Repository perspective etc.
> It sounds like a bug in SVNKit. I'd start by getting the latest
> version from their update site. It appears to be Then
> I'd report it to support_at_svnkit.com.
> Of course you can also look at the Wiki I linked to for help on
> getting JavaHL working.

To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe_at_subclipse.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help_at_subclipse.tigris.org
Received on 2008-10-10 00:20:19 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the Subclipse Users mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.