[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

[Subclipse-users] Help with slow performance - Subclipse 1.4.4 and 1.4.2 in Eclipse and Carbide.c++ 1.3

From: Kevin Hunter <khunter_at_allmanint.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 18:59:10 -0400

Hi, all!
I'm trying to figure out why I'm seeing such poor user interface performance
with Subclipse. I was originally using v1.2 without any problems, and
recently updated to 1.4. Specifically:
SVN Team Provider Core: 1.4.4
Subversion JavaHL: 1.5.2
Subversion Client Adaptor: 1.5.1
All inside Eclipse on Windows XP.
The "SVN interface" on Windows / Preferences / SVN says "JavaHL (JNI) 1.5.2
(r32768)" (that's the only choice)
Here are the symptoms:

1. If I am connected to the network, any time I right-click on my
project, intending to bring up the "Team" menu, there is a very noticeable
delay before the menu is presented. I observe network activity while this
is going on. If I disconnect from the network, the delay goes away. I have
two projects open right now inside Eclipse, and the delay seems to be
somewhat longer on the larger project (the project with the greater number
of files) but it's easily three seconds on the smaller project.
2. The label decorations are very slow to update. By very slow, I mean
minutes - and some time they don't update at all. Files that I change don't
get visibly tagged as changed for a very long time, and if I commit files
via the Team Synchronization perspective, the "it's been changed" decoration
stays around for a long time. Many of the files never get the "version date
and user" annotation to the right of the file names.

I have checked the .log file in the .metadata area of my workspace, and it
shows nothing obviously subclipse-related. I get a bunch of exceptions from
mylyn when I start Eclipse (threads timing out waiting for other threads)
which include references to
org.eclipse.ui.internal.decorators.LightweightDecoratorManager and
org.eclipse.ui.internal.decorators.DecorationScheduler which vaguely
suggests that something's unhappy there - possibly that's involved somehow
even though nothing from Subclipse is explicitly mentioned? Otherwise, once
the workspace is up and running, I don't get any further entries in the .log
I had none of this kind of behavior before updating to the current release
of SVN - with the older version I got almost instantaneous update of the
label decorations, and didn't see the "right-click" delays. I'm not sure
why the right-click operation would be triggering any network activity
I also use SmartSVN, which doesn't have any performance issues that I can
see - that suggests that it has nothing to do with my connection to the
I also use Carbide.c++, which is also based on Eclipse. When I updated its
version of Subclipse to 1.4.2 it also developed similar behavior.
If anyone can suggest what I can do to figure out what's going on, I would
be grateful.
Kevin Hunter
Received on 2008-09-18 00:59:44 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the Subclipse Users mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.