[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: [Subclipse-users] Broken Working Copy after using JavaSVN

From: Mark Phippard <markp_at_softlanding.com>
Date: 2006-08-07 14:53:02 CEST

news <news@sea.gmane.org> wrote on 08/07/2006 08:04:57 AM:

> I have a few working copies that seem to be broken. I "mass" committed
> multiple projects at once and used JavaSVN to get one changeset instead
> of many. First, it looked like the commit went well. At least I got no
> error message.
> But now I have three projects where I have problems. I noticed it
> because Subclipse seemed to have wrong states. According to the
> decorations in the Navigator everything is fine. But the Synchronize
> view showed me removed files under the "bin" folders of those projects.
> That is interesting because nothing should have been committed under
> them. And the bigger problem is, that the missing files are ".java"
> files, which for sure never existed in those folders. It's also sure
> that they were never committed to the repository. (See
> After some investigation I noticed that all folders below the bin folder
> had ".svn" folders. That's weird. because these folders are not part of
> the repository. Anyway, I tried updating it several times and a cleanup
> but now I'm stuck.
> Basically the error messages are as follow. When updating the project I
> get an error, because the project is locked. So I tried a cleanup on the
> project but this fails because "bin" is not a working copy directory. I
> tried it from Subclipse (now with JavaHL) and TortoiseSVN with the same
> results.
> Is there any solution or should I delete the projects completely and
> check them out again? I'm lucky because I don't have modifications in
> them but what happens the next time?

It sounds to me like something copied your .svn folders to your bin
folder. The Eclipse build process will do this by default, however, it is
also smart enough to ignore files and folders that are marked as "Team
Private Resources". So if someone works with a Subversion project in
Eclipse without using Subclipse this happens all the time. When Subclipse
is installed, we mark those files as Team Private so that Eclipse ignores
them. It has been well over a year since I have heard of someone having a
problem with this, but there have been occasions where there were timing
issues and we did not get a chance to mark the files in time. Another
side-effect of when this happens is that you will see these folders in the
Navigator view.

It is hard to tell you what happened right now, but it most likely had
nothing to with JavaSVN or JavaHL.

Your "bin" folder should not be in your repository at all. You should
delete it and add it to the svn:ignore property of the parent folder. See
this FAQ: http://subclipse.tigris.org/faq.html#wc-not-locked

Finally, to recover I would do this:

1) Delete the bin folder fron the SVN Repositories view.
2) Delete the bin folder locally using Windows Explorer (or whatever
OS-appropriate tool).
3) Run Team -> Update
4) Do a Project -> Clean in Eclipse to recreate the bin folder and its
5) Add bin folder to svn:ignore of parent
6) Commit the property change

After step 4 you would also likely want to make sure those .svn folders
did not get created in your bin folder.


To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@subclipse.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@subclipse.tigris.org
Received on Mon Aug 7 14:53:18 2006

This is an archived mail posted to the Subclipse Users mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.