[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: Issue tracker cleanup: SVN-807

From: Nathan Hartman <hartman.nathan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2019 10:13:26 -0500

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 4:07 AM Branko Čibej <brane_at_apache.org> wrote:

> On 11.11.2019 17:30, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
>
(snip test procedure)

> > So I think we can close it as "Fixed at some point"?
>
> Ah, yes, I added some code to at least print something readable (or
> let's say "analyzable") in such cases when I added utf8proc to our code.
> I can't think of anything better to do, so we can close that issue as
> far as I'm concerned.

Brane, thanks for your input.

Daniel, thanks for testing this and documenting how. Please, could
you add that as a comment in the issue tracker? Or, if you'd like,
I'll be happy to do that and attribute it to you.

I agree that this issue should be closed.

From my reading, it looks like it was not closed as a reminder to move
this to APR. (Though that might make sense from a refactoring
standpoint, I think it would cause dependency headaches.) Also there
was a patch from Ulrich Drepper but it looks incomplete. I'm guessing
there was a desire to do more than print the offending hex codes but
I don't know what else you could do.

If there are no objections, I'll go ahead and close SVN-807.

As a side note, I feel dumb because I went spelunking all over the
code and found r842879...

[[[

r842879 | kfogel | 2002-07-30 18:33:13 -0400 (Tue, 30 Jul 2002) | 12
lines

Start on issue #807. Thanks to Justin Erenkrantz for his initial
patch to check_non_ascii().

* subversion/libsvn_subr/utf.c
  (check_non_ascii): Return the more appropriate APR_EINVAL.

* subversion/include/svn_utf.h, subversion/libsvn_subr/utf.c
  (svn_utf_cstring_from_utf8_fuzzy): New function.

* subversion/clients/cmdline/log-cmd.c
  (log_message_receiver): Degrade gracefully yet insistently.

]]]

and only AFTER that, I noticed that it was written in the issue
tracker all along:

[[[

Karl Fogel added a comment - 30/Jul/02 22:46
Okay, the worst has been resolved by revision 2805.

We still need to move the code over to APR, if appropriate. And apply
Brane and Ulrich's patches, but that may be a separate issue, will
mull on that.

]]]

r2805 + 840074 = r842879... Which, by the way, is before 1.0.

The only other thing I found that deals with bad UTF-8 in log messages
is the logic that prevents bad UTF-8 and mixed line endings from
getting into the log and the automated test for it.

Nathan
Received on 2019-11-12 16:13:47 CET

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.