[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: 1.13.x and swig-py3

From: Johan Corveleyn <jcorvel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 13:46:28 +0200

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 1:35 PM Branko Čibej <brane_at_apache.org> wrote:
> On 21.10.2019 13:16, Julian Foad wrote:
> > Surely the right approach is to release what we have got (the
> > currently soaking 1.13), then release the new one as soon as we can
> > get it ready. It sounds like it's not suitable for a patch release, so
> > we'll make it a new minor release, calling it 1.14.
> If you (or some other RM volunteer) is prepared to roll 1.14 with Python
> 3 support in, say, a month after 1.13 -- with all that implies for
> downstream packagers -- then sure.

I had the same thought. Creating more releases implies a lot of work
for downstream.

I'd say: if we don't want to postpone 1.13 for py3 (and we can't
backport it to a patch release), then we should indeed fix it for
1.14, but not make an extra release out of it. It will simply be part
of 1.14 LTS, to be released somewhere around April 2020.

Now, can someone please find a release blocking bug in 1.13, so we
have a valid reason for restarting the soak? ;-)
Seriously: we always have the option to retract / re-cut / ... 1.13 as
long as it has not been released. The projected release date is just
that, a _projected_ release date, which we aim for. If there is a
serious reason we can postpone the release ... (I understand that this
may not be a "serious reason" ... but downstreamers anyway have to
account for the possibility that an RC is thrown away even at the last

Received on 2019-10-21 13:46:50 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.