[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: 1.13.x and swig-py3 (was: Re: Test failures with Python 3 (Re: PMCs: any Hackathon requests? (deadline 11 October)))

From: Johan Corveleyn <jcorvel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2019 12:06:45 +0200

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 1:23 AM Daniel Shahaf <d.s_at_daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> Yasuhito FUTATSUKI wrote on Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 23:09:19 +0900:
> > On 2019/10/16 21:12, Johan Corveleyn wrote:
> > > This makes me wonder: should that be fixed specifically on trunk, and
> > > nominated for backport to 1.13, so we can possibly claim basic support
> > > for Python 3 in our build and test processes (in at least one released
> > > version) before the end of this year?
> > >
> > > Or should we reintegrate the swig-py3 branch ASAP, and nominate *that*
> > > for backport to 1.13, so we can have Python 3 support, including swig
> > > bindings?
> >
> > I prefer the latter, as one of users :) I want to use
> > tools/hook-scripts/mailer/mailer.py with Python 3.
> If we want this to happen, we should first of all complete the swig-py3 branch
> and merge it to trunk.

Yes, and I think the branch is now ready for merge to trunk.

> What's not clear to me is what would happen afterwards. Is anyone proposing to
> delay 1.13.0 until swig-py3 is merged (remember that we are already more than
> halfway through the soak)? If not, how would merging swig-py3 to 1.13.x
> coexist with the premise of "no destabilizing changes in patch releases"?
> Would we have to delay merging swig-py3 to 1.13.x until January, when py2 has
> finally gone out of support?

I wouldn't postpone 1.13.0 for it. I suppose the best way is that we
propose it for backport for 1.13.1, shortly after 1.13.0 has been
Also: the swig-py3 branch does not break our support for py2. With
that branch, both py2 and py3 swig-bindings can be built and run fine.

> What should we do about swig-py3 support in 1.12.x and 1.10.x, which are both LTS?

Only 1.10.x is LTS (and 1.9.x perhaps? But ISTR we eol'ed that). I
suppose a backport to 1.10.x would be a good idea, so we have at least
one LTS release this year that supports py3.

> Should we say anything about swig-py2 / swig-py3 in the release notes _today_,
> before 1.13.0 has been released, about our plans for 1.13.x patch releases?

I think we should mention it at least in the 1.13.0 release notes, in
the known issues section, and announce our plan to address it in
1.13.1 or something like that?

Received on 2019-10-19 12:07:20 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.

This site is subject to the Apache Privacy Policy and the Apache Public Forum Archive Policy.