We planned to release a year after 1.8.0, it doesn't look like we're going to
make that. However, we can still manage to a release out with some delay after
that. To that end I suggest that we need to start moving towards a 1.9.x branch.
We'd planned to defer new development and concentrate on fixes before our
branch point in Berlin last year. We never bothered to start that period. I
propose that we start that period now. Which would mean that any new features
be deferred from being added to trunk (branches are ok) until after we branch
There are still numerous outstanding decisions that need to be made for some
things currently in trunk. We need to move to resolve these issues. Since
tracking these sorts of things in email is rather difficult I have made a new
1.9-blocker milestone. Please move bugs that you consider a blockers (or file
new ones if there isn't one already) for a 1.9.0 release against this
milestone. As always, the issue tracker is not a place for discussion, but it
is a useful place to track the conversations we have had (links to mailing list
archives) and for decisions that have been made, please keep this in mind.
I would rather we not spend our time in Berlin debating such things. I'd much
rather we spend it looking toward what we are going to do in 1.10 and other
To that end I'd like to branch no later than June 13th. Please figure out what
blockers you have on a 1.9.0 release and have them appropriately flagged in the
issue tracker by May 23rd. I'd like to see us having a decision on what we're
going to do with those issues by June 6th. Then we can finish up with those
issues (or be well on the way towards it) by June 13th.
This is probably a rather aggressive time frame. Issues that require
considerable work may be found and may alter the time frame. The point of this
is not to create any sort of time limit on filing blockers, if new things are
found we'll deal with them. But I suspect if we don't make any sort of time
lines in this area that we will continue to piddle about and not make any sort
of forward progress on this release.
Received on 2014-05-16 23:44:36 CEST