[svn.haxx.se] · SVN Dev · SVN Users · SVN Org · TSVN Dev · TSVN Users · Subclipse Dev · Subclipse Users · this month's index

Re: Re: [PATCH]: fix check-mime-type.pl for changes to 'svnlook proplist' output

From: Matthias Buecher / Germany <mail_at_maddes.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 22:29:21 +0200

On 17.03.2014 20:25, Leo Davis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I decided to go with the last approach. I've tried it on subversion 1.1.4 and
> 1.8.5, and the simple testcases seem to indicate it works on both of them.
>
> I've attached the patch (from trunk) and a small collection of testcases in a
> tarball.
>
> [[[
> Fix check-mime-type.pl for output changes to 'svnlook proplist' in a
> maximally backward compatible way. Tested against subversion 1.1.4 and 1.8.5.
>
> The output format of 'svnlook proplist' was changed in revision 1416637.
>
> See also http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2012-11/0510.shtml
>
> * contrib/hook-scripts/check-mime-type.pl:
> -- Also test files when properties have been modified, not just added, to
> ensure that properties don't vanish.
> -- Replace "svnlook proplist --verbose" with a two step process of
> "svnlook proplist" and "svnlook propget". This was done because "svnlook
> proplist --verbose" cannot unambiguously be parsed without --xml with
> multiline properties.
> -- Remove unused code.
> ]]]
>
> Leo
>
> On Monday, March 03, 2014 09:12:32 AM Leo Davis wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Another approach is to dump 'svnlook proplist' altogether and use 'svnlook
> > propget svn:mime-type' and 'svnlook propget svn:eol-style' instead. That
> > could be maximally backward compatible without introducing XML.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Leo

Tested Leo's patch successfully on Windows 7(SVN 1.6 - 1.8) and Debian
am64 (SVN 1.6).

Only point with the patch is, that I would keep the chdir to the temp dir.
Just posted a patch for sane temp dir usage and Windows support minutes ago.

Maddes

> > ________________________________________
> > From: Ben Reser <ben_at_reser.org>
> > Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2014 11:40 PM
> > To: Leo Davis; Daniel Shahaf
> > Cc: dev_at_subversion.apache.org
> > Subject: Re: [PATCH]: fix check-mime-type.pl for changes to 'svnlook
> > proplist' output
> > On 3/2/14, 5:34 PM, Leo Davis wrote:
> > > As Ben pointed out, the current parser in the script for svnlook <= 1.7.x
> > > is broken and unfixable for multiline properties. The closest we can get
> > > to DTRT in this case is to have svnlook output XML. Hopefully no one
> > > still cares about svnlook <= 1.3 (?) that cannot output XML.>
> > > On Mar 2, 2014, at 8:11 AM, "Daniel Shahaf" <d.s_at_daniel.shahaf.name>
> wrote:
> > >> One more issue: however you change the parser, it will break if
> > >> svnlook1.7 or older is used. It would be nice to DTRT in that case
> > >> (either error out or retain the old parser).
> >
> > It would be nice to have, but I think the effort to provide it is just too
> > great unless we go down the XML path. Which is a pretty large change in the
> > requirements of the script.
> >
> > Anyone that wants it can go get a copy of the script off the 1.7.x branch
> > (assuming we merge the fix to the 1.8.x branch). This is contrib we have no
> > compatibility guarantees to worry about either.
> >
> > Just put a prominent notice at the top of the script saying that it is only
> > intended for use with 1.8.x or newer servers.
Received on 2014-03-31 22:30:00 CEST

This is an archived mail posted to the Subversion Dev mailing list.